Balance issues after 18 months of lowering Acetylcholine with sleep aids

keenly

I have been using the antihistamines Nytol and Sominex(diphenhydramine and promethazine) for over 18 months, with 12 months of that being a daily use. I am now having POTS issues I never had before and horrible balance problems.  I feel wobbly and slightly dizzy with small head movements. 

Has anyone with POTS had issues like this? Even when sitting I feel like I will topple over. I never had any of this before I started with the sleep aids.

@keenly Im also concerned about long term use of diphenhydramine because of the research stating cognitive decline with long term use.   Because of this, I avoid this class of antihistamine for long use.  I also have balance issues and I know balance takes a lot of brain energy to keep my body upright and all.  Don’t know if a different class will work for you but if you are noticing something cognitively, maybe try a different class of histamine.  You can get more details by searching internet but here’s a clip and a link from Cleveland Clinic. I’ve read similar data in other references as well. 
Do antihistamines cause dementia?Long term use of some antihistamines may increase your risk of dementia. Diphenhydramine (Benadryl®) blocks the effects of a neurotransmitter called acetylcholine. This neurotransmitter is vital for memory and learning. Diphenhydramine increased the risk of dementia by 54% in one 3,000 patient study followed for seven years.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/drugs/21223-antihistamines

1 hour ago, Bergbrow said:

@keenly Im also concerned about long term use of diphenhydramine because of the research stating cognitive decline with long term use.   Because of this, I avoid this class of antihistamine for long use.  I also have balance issues and I know balance takes a lot of brain energy to keep my body upright and all.  Don’t know if a different class will work for you but if you are noticing something cognitively, maybe try a different class of histamine.  You can get more details by searching internet but here’s a clip and a link from Cleveland Clinic. I’ve read similar data in other references as well. 
Do antihistamines cause dementia?Long term use of some antihistamines may increase your risk of dementia. Diphenhydramine (Benadryl®) blocks the effects of a neurotransmitter called acetylcholine. This neurotransmitter is vital for memory and learning. Diphenhydramine increased the risk of dementia by 54% in one 3,000 patient study followed for seven years.

Good post...Yes antihistamines will affect cognitive functions. the newer drugs like claritin or allegra are better. my nurses have said to take them with caution. Benadryl is good if needed but should be used short term.  

18 hours ago, Bergbrow said:

Exactly. I used every night for 14 months, then 1/4 tab every 2 days since. Unfortunately if I try to boost acetylcholine with any supplement I get severe, and I mean wide awake, severe insomnia. I never had balance issues and dizziness before using these antihistamines.