SSD- Is it hard to get approved every year?

bamagirl

I just got approved for social security disability. It took me two and a half years of fighting to get it. After 2 denials, I hired a lawyer and got it ruled on without a hearing. The problem is, I was only approved for one year and then I have to have my case reviewed again!!! Has anyone else out there had this happen & if so, how hard is it to keep getting approved year after year. I am 32 years old, an accountant and worked steadily since I was 15 up until 5/03 when I crashed and couldn't go back to work. I was hoping I wouldn't have to be reveiwed again for another 3 to 7 years!!!

yes, a short time for a review is possible...depending on what you were given the disability for....if medical improvement is expected, could be 6 to 18 months. I found this answer quickly by doing a search...from ssa.gov website

How often will my medical condition be reviewed?

The frequency of reviews depends on the nature and severity of your medical condition and whether it is expected to improve.

If improvement is expected, your first review generally will be six to 18 months after the date you became disabled.

If improvement is possible, but cannot

be predicted, your case will be reviewed about once every three years.

If improvement is not expected, your case will be reviewed once every

seven years.

yes, a short time for a review is possible...depending on what you were given the disability for....if medical improvement is expected, could be 6 to 18 months.  I found this answer quickly by doing a search...from ssa.gov website

The frequency of reviews depends on the nature and severity of your medical condition and whether it is expected to improve.

If improvement is expected, your first review generally will be six to 18 months after the date you became disabled.

seven years.

Thanks for the info!!! I really appreciate all the replies!!! Bamagirl

yes, a short time for a review is possible...depending on what you were given the disability for....if medical improvement is expected, could be 6 to 18 months.? I found this answer quickly by doing a search...from ssa.gov website

seven years.

Thanks for the info!!! I really appreciate all the replies!!! Bamagirl

I was approved for SSI this year and scheduled for review next year. I too worry about this, as it was difficult to get approved. Also, my health is still not under control enough to work. I just pray that if I am still not physically well enough to work that I am reapproved. I also hope that the reapproval process is not too stressful. I don't know this is something that bothers me...it is hard enough to be stuck in a position of being too sick to work, and then to have to go through this disability process. I also find disability frustrating as it is hard to live on. I am a single mother with two children still at home, so its been hard to make ends meet. I keep thinking that they need to get my health under control, so that I can work so we have enough to live...but each time I think it is just around the bend...I get sicker. It is frustrating and I begin to lose hope. Sorry for that little vent...anyway I second your question...what is the review process like?

As far as the review process..the paperwork is VERY TAXING and stressful...so that is a given. Just don't take it personally.

Also it is helpful to see a doctor regularly and even a psychologist since SSD (Social security disability) LOVES to make people see a shrink or a paid wh*re as some of us like to call them to 'do a quick mental status evaluation.' Just make sure your doctor and counselor understand your limitations! That is the key. not the name of your dx but the specifics of your limitations.

Try and relax until you get the review! I have been through 3 reviews in 15 years and the one last summer started with a short CDR paper. FOLLOWED by nothing for 7 months and a long review, several pages. THAT was followed a month or two later but TWO HUGE detail questionnaires...Daily living function or something and another thing. It was HORRIBLE and I called to ask for more time to fill them all out. They are famous for drumming up more paperwork. So it is just part of the game.

Just be honest with yourself about your situation and find a good doc. A therapist isn't a MUST to see regularly but it can be very helpful since any normal person needs help in learning to deal with chronic illness.

Hope this helps more than it aggravates!! Just relax for the next 12 months.

just to stick a clarification in....some are talking about SSDI in this thread, others SSI. while both administered by the SSA, i don't want anyone to get confused b/c the processes, requirements, etc. are different...

:) melissa