Lactose Breath Test

HI Gwendolyn,

I've never had this test done but here's what it involves, according to my Prescription for Nutritional Healing book...

It measures absorption of lactose into the digestive system. There are 2 kinds...

1. Lactose tolerance test, in shich a person drinks a liquid containing lactose after fasting overnight. Approx. 1/2 hour later, the amount of glucose in the blood is measured and the presence of symptoms assessed. If blood glucose does not rise by at least 20 points and esp. if there are symptoms like bloating or discomfort, a dx of lactose intolerance is made.

2. The Hydrodren breath test measures the amount of hydrogen in the breath. Again the person is given a drink containing high level of lactose. When lactose is improperly digested in the colon, gases form and are carried through the blood to the lungs and then exhaled. A higher level of hydrogen in the breath indicates faulty digestion of lactose.

It sounds pretty harmless. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Gena

Hi Gwendolyn,

I'd schedule a little down time for yourself after the test. I know when i had mine, i had a delayed reaction to the lactose drink and needed some rest at home. Hope that you get some answers from the test! good news is, if you are lactose intolerant, it's an easy thing to avoid dairy these days! lots of tasty substitutes.

Kristen