Singulair Issues

Knellie

Hey Everyone-

Today I am asking a question on behalf of my sister. She has Mast Cell Activation Syndrome and is on Claritin 2x a day and Singulair 1x a day.  I don't know the exact dosing on each. After these 4 months of being on Singulair, she realized that it had been affecting her emotions pretty terribly. She has been more irritable, angry, and anxious on this drug. It had taken down her histamines quite a bit and even made her feel a little better physically better. I looked it up and it does have these psychiatric symptoms down as part of a black-box warning. She will be going off of it starting tomorrow, but I have read some horror stories about going off of it online. The main question I wanted to ask was if you have been on it, has it been terrible getting off? If so, how did you deal with it? And, what other drugs do MCAS people use?  She is very worried about going off of it and feeling really bad physically. Thank you so much for your help!

@Knellie My daughter had asthma pretty bad as a child and took Singulair every day for about 4 years. When she was able to stop it we just took her off it and she had zero side effects from stopping. But that does not mean it will be the same for your sister! I would definitely check with the prescribing physician. 

Knellie

I have been on Singulair for about 10 years.  I have allergy induced asthma and only in the spring to mid summer.  I also have mild athletic asthma too!  My Son #2 is on it as well, has the same symptoms  and BTW he had POTS 12-15 years ago.  My irritability lasted for a few months and now it does not bother me, my wife let me know when it was affecting me!  She kept calling me a grumpy old man.  But then again I was really irritable with the allergies.   I did go off it once to see if I still needed it and I had no reaction, unfortunately my allergies returned so I went back on it.  Since I am near 70 years of age I am not sure how long I will need to be on this, went to the asthma doctor last summer and he kept me on it for a few more years, I have had allergies and asthma since age 7 and singulair is the best thing I have ever taken.  All I know is that it works and it takes quite a bit of time for the side effects to pass.

DADofPotsSon