Getting sick with Dysautonomia

Misty4280

I just started to work after a few years of learning to manage my symptoms. I thought I had a decent handle on things. I’m even working from home to make sure I can still elevate my legs and wear the necessary compression when needed. I’m only working 7 hours a day and I stay seated the whole time. But my heart rate has stayed elevated, even at rest. I had the flu 3 weeks before Christmas and my heart rate hasn’t come down below 120 at rest since. I’ve worked this job for 2.5 weeks and I got sick with nausea and vomiting. My question is, do any of you get physically ill when you’ve over done yourselves and if so, does it require you sleeping for a full day to feel even a tiny bit better? I still don’t feel well enough to work, but I need this job and I have to do it anyway. I don’t know what to do. Any suggestions?

@Misty4280 -- Sorry to hear about your situation and not feeling well. Your HR seems pretty high for just being seated. Do you usually take meds to help manage your symptoms? Maybe speak to your doctor about trying a beta blocker or Corlanor to help get things back under control? 

And yes, when I get sick my symptoms can be all over the place. Same when I over do things with my kids or work. 

@Misty4280 I do become very ill ( including nausea, tachycardia and extreme fatigue, even passing out ) when I push myself, despite being disabled, homebound and optimally medically controlled. I could not even imagine doing anything for seven hours, seated or not ( well, definitely not standing up ). One thing that you may not be considering is that many dysautonomia patients respond with extreme stress to ANY overstimulation - which can involve talking. listening, noises, lights, standing - sitting - standing, even reading!

59 minutes ago, Misty4280 said:

I still don’t feel well enough to work, but I need this job and I have to do it anyway. I don’t know what to do. Any suggestions?

I do not know your situation, but could you possibly ask your employer to be able to work less hours in a day, and maybe not at certain hours? Maybe you could do the work one hour at a time, take a break, and do some more? 

@JennKay my heart rate is not normally this high when at rest. It’s been staying there since I got sick with the flu in December. I have not been on Corlanor, but I have been on 3 different beta blockers and they are completely ineffective to my heart rate, but they make me extremely sleepy, more so than I already am, which is saying something. Thank you for your response! I appreciate it!

@Pistol

I know my body is just responding to stress and I absolutely hate it. My body (as is the case with all of us with this illness) has betrayed me. As for being able to break up my schedule, my job does not offer that option. I can drop my hours in 45 days, but……my pocketbook would be hurting! These are the hours I need to work to be able to keep my insurance, which is a MUST! But I sincerely appreciate your response! Thank you.

On 1/20/2023 at 7:11 AM, Misty4280 said:

I just started to work after a few years of learning to manage my symptoms. I thought I had a decent handle on things. I’m even working from home to make sure I can still elevate my legs and wear the necessary compression when needed. I’m only working 7 hours a day and I stay seated the whole time. But my heart rate has stayed elevated, even at rest. I had the flu 3 weeks before Christmas and my heart rate hasn’t come down below 120 at rest since. I’ve worked this job for 2.5 weeks and I got sick with nausea and vomiting. My question is, do any of you get physically ill when you’ve over done yourselves and if so, does it require you sleeping for a full day to feel even a tiny bit better? I still don’t feel well enough to work, but I need this job and I have to do it anyway. I don’t know what to do. Any suggestions?

@Misty4280This happens to me all the time. I still haven't learnt my lesson yet.  I just got through two weeks of very stressful work situation and now the last six to seven days, I haven't been able to do anything.  I can't even think straight at the height of it when my body get so stimulated due to the stress.  Mg whole body just shuts down.  If you are able to setup a schedule and pattern that your body can familiarize with, it might be helpful hoping you are not in a situation where work requests change randomly.  I tried doing that but due to the nature of my work, things change constantly for me.