Well UW Madison Called to Setup an Ultrasound

MikeO

Well being Dysautonomic is one thing the fall out of being relentlessly being tested is another. Not sure what the diff is between a sonogram or an ultrasound but the choices at UW were limited. I am sure my Doc has my best interest in mind that is why he ordered the ultrasound. He is a vascular doc so i am sure he has concerns. I have been working with my team and i am sure between allergies and type 2 diabetes i have suffered from some sort of inflammatory disease (ans affected). I am sure my orthopedic doc has had a hand in this. He was very thorough. I will comply.   

29 minutes ago, DysautonmiaMatt said:

Have they confirmed that you have diabetes as your A1C was not bad if I remember correctly? I know you had that test done but have they done 24 hour glucose monitoring to see where things are on your normal diet? I know people that have been on Metformin for years and have never had any problems even with the lactic acidosis warning. The extended release version is better tolerated.  Hopefully alone with diet changes you can manage it and have read with proper diet and some supplements have reversed it completely.  I think for just about all of us there is some underlining cause for our ANS issues but not easy to find especially with our medical system focused on symptom management and drugs.

https://www.healthline.com/health/sonogram-vs-ultrasound#:~:text=Often%2C the terms sonogram and,picture that the ultrasound generates.

Thanks for the link. Helps. My A1C was not bad as well as my fasting glucose. No i have not had a 24 hr glucose monitoring done even though IMO would be more telling. The Oral glucose test albeit is telling and is enough for me to get a diagnosis (gold standard) postprandial hypoglycemia and this is damaging. I have read up on Metformin and is a first (cheap insurance choice) but it does have a low compliance among folks taking it. Yes i have read the extended release is better tolerated so i just may try that. 

Lately i have been a bit nervous that when scheduling calls they are asking if i have a pic or port as well as any special needs.

1 hour ago, DysautonmiaMatt said:

My guess is with changes to diet you will be able to get things under control especially since your A1C and fasting glucose are not bad.  Checking your glucose with a at home meter would be a way to see how what you are eating effects your levels and how you feel with your other logs which are so valuable to have. That test maybe their gold standard but not how we really eat as we don't eat just straight glucose. From the people I know that take Metformin, my sister's husband's family all take it as type 2 runs in their family, it takes some time to get used to it but after they told me no issues. You can request your doctor to do frequent labs if you decide to go with Metformin just to be on safe side. Most of them take the extended release version but his mom takes the regular release version. Most common starting issue they told me is GI upset. They are all very over weight as well. Wonder why they are asking if you have a PIC line etc. 

Side note stopped Lexapro completely and after a few days started to go down hill with a bad flare up. Looks like I am having Lexapro withdrawal issues. Back on my baby dose today to see if it reverses this.  Also could be the major weather change as it is no longer hot and humid.

Yeah i am sure i will have to watch what i eat. I would not mind using a dexcom g6 for a month just to see what foods work better for me. for some folks eating a banana will spike there levels while others just eating dirt will (Haha) You would be surprised as to how much sugar is contained in some common items that folks eat. 1/4 package of M&M's has 50g of sugar even some the the healthy branded items like nutella (5 tablespoons) is 50g i am sure a 20oz soda is well over the 50g mark. Glucose test drink is 75 grams.

Sorry to hear you are still struggling with the Lexapro. Hang in there! 

@MikeO I used to do a lot of diabetic diet teaching when I worked as a nurse. You will see that there is soooo much you can do to regulate your glucose levels with diet and exercise combined! And since you are such a great cook it can be fun experimenting with new recipes. And I admire your compliance with your health needs so far, I am sure you will succeed with your new challenge! Here is a website that has many helpful info, check the list of links at the end Diabetes Meal Planning | CDC

10 hours ago, Pistol said:

@MikeO I used to do a lot of diabetic diet teaching when I worked as a nurse. You will see that there is soooo much you can do to regulate your glucose levels with diet and exercise combined! And since you are such a great cook it can be fun experimenting with new recipes. And I admire your compliance with your health needs so far, I am sure you will succeed with your new challenge! Here is a website that has many helpful info, check the list of links at the end Diabetes Meal Planning | CDC

Thanks @Pistolfor the CDC link there is a wealth of info provided.

11 hours ago, DysautonmiaMatt said:

Thank you for your kind words. This year has been a real struggle. I hope next year is better.  You are wise to avoid these meds. Wish I would have not listened to my doc on this one.

Diet wise I try to avoid all processed foods and try to eat organic whole foods but due cheat sometimes :) I do cook all my meals and never eat out as another variable I control because of dysautonomia.  Veggies are very good. I have been told to avoid any carbs for breakfast as this sends sugars all over the place for rest of day. Just wanted to make you aware of this as most doctors do not know this. I had the opportunity to have a well known integrative doctor as one of my doctors for a few years before he retired and he told me this.  Most breakfast meals have cereal/out meal/bread etc. I typically eat some avocados (great for K) and eggs which some sea salt and lots of organic garlic (LOVE garlic).  I rarely eat fruit as it is loaded with sugar and never any fruit juice.  Ideal is to get the body back to burning fat as a main energy source vs glucose. Some people can get away with high carb diets and need them others can't.  I have to watch it on the carbs.  

I know i am such a cheater as well Haha. I have already made diet changes similar to what you are describing (no more white bread bologna sandwiches). Celery and all natural peanut butter (refrigerated stuff) works for a snack as well as reduced fat triscuits and Garlic hummus. Also Chobani has a yogurt that is fat free and has zero sugar (goes good with almond slices)

Sure i won't be able to cut all carbs but i can control them. I did stop eating potatoes and have noticed an improvement.