Went in to My Oral Glucose Test Today Results Were Not I was Expecting.

MikeO

@MikeO -- That is amazing that you will finally be able to get some data on your blood sugar situation. Coincidentally, I was also able to obtain a CGM this past week and I am finding the trends super interesting. I am not pre-diabetic (that I am aware of anyways...) and since my symptoms started in June 2021 I have become much more sensitive to food - eating, not eating, eating too much sugar, etc. Too much sugar, for me, causes an increase in PVCs and tachycardia. I wasn't sensitive like this pre-June 2021.

It has only been a few days, but from what I can see, I seem to be having periods of hypoglycemia in the early morning hours b/w 3-5am. I don't think it is a coincidence that this is the time of night where I wake and often have an elevated HR and hard time falling back to sleep. It's like someone woke me from a deep peaceful sleep and its so disturbing. I'm guessing I'm having an adrenaline surge to counteract the low blood sugar. After I noticed it the first night, I drank coconut water right before bed (like 5 mins before I brushed my teeth) and I didn't get hypoglycemic and I slept w/o the 3-5am adrenaline rush. The next night I had a snack of roasted peanuts with a banana about an hour before bed, but I got hypoglycemic and woke with an elevated HR. I think I am going to try the coconut water right before bed again tonight to see what happens.

I've also noticed that meals with lots of good fats and proteins make me less symptomatic post-meal -- no tachycardia and minimal PVCs -- compared to meals with protein + carbs, like any amount of carbs sets of my heart. I may be transitioning to a keto/paleo style diet here pretty soon... At this point, I am willing to eat the same exact thing EVERY SINGLE DAY if this would make my PVCs stop!!

@MikeO, there’s a really good forum here that has threads on CGMs:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/

I wonder whether two weeks is too short a time to get a handle on using a CGM properly (even though “technically” you don’t have to do anything, there are still things to factor in such as finger prick tests, recording meals and activity, and possible effects of lying certain ways in bed on the sensor).

20 hours ago, JennKay said:

@MikeO -- That is amazing that you will finally be able to get some data on your blood sugar situation. Coincidentally, I was also able to obtain a CGM this past week and I am finding the trends super interesting. I am not pre-diabetic (that I am aware of anyways...) and since my symptoms started in June 2021 I have become much more sensitive to food - eating, not eating, eating too much sugar, etc. Too much sugar, for me, causes an increase in PVCs and tachycardia. I wasn't sensitive like this pre-June 2021.

It has only been a few days, but from what I can see, I seem to be having periods of hypoglycemia in the early morning hours b/w 3-5am. I don't think it is a coincidence that this is the time of night where I wake and often have an elevated HR and hard time falling back to sleep. It's like someone woke me from a deep peaceful sleep and its so disturbing. I'm guessing I'm having an adrenaline surge to counteract the low blood sugar. After I noticed it the first night, I drank coconut water right before bed (like 5 mins before I brushed my teeth) and I didn't get hypoglycemic and I slept w/o the 3-5am adrenaline rush. The next night I had a snack of roasted peanuts with a banana about an hour before bed, but I got hypoglycemic and woke with an elevated HR. I think I am going to try the coconut water right before bed again tonight to see what happens.

I've also noticed that meals with lots of good fats and proteins make me less symptomatic post-meal -- no tachycardia and minimal PVCs -- compared to meals with protein + carbs, like any amount of carbs sets of my heart. I may be transitioning to a keto/paleo style diet here pretty soon... At this point, I am willing to eat the same exact thing EVERY SINGLE DAY if this would make my PVCs stop!!

Glad to hear you have a CGM as well. I really hope it helps to get to the root of your tachycardia and pvcs. This so far for me has been interesting. My second day i ate a later dinner that i would normally and right on queue i went hyperglycemic for a couple of hours or so. I did still have a few hypoglycemia events while sleeping (between midnight and 1:30am). Hopefully in the next few days i will get a better picture as to what is going on and be able to makes some adjustments that can be measured.

14 hours ago, Sarah Tee said:

@MikeO, there’s a really good forum here that has threads on CGMs:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/

I wonder whether two weeks is too short a time to get a handle on using a CGM properly (even though “technically” you don’t have to do anything, there are still things to factor in such as finger prick tests, recording meals and activity, and possible effects of lying certain ways in bed on the sensor).

This diabetes forum has a lot of good information. Thank You for sharing. I did not realize the was a number of subtypes of diabetes.

I did talk to the nurse yesterday and we discussed the bed time lows and did mention that laying on the sensor (putting pressure on it) can skew the reading a bit. I did go low again last night and when my phone app alerted me i know i was not laying on the side that the device is attached.