Going under anaesthetic

Nin

I'm having an operation soon and the last time I went under it made everything worse (pots symptoms). Is there anything different i should have because of pots? I spoke to an anesthetist and she was asking my opinion what might help. How are my supposed to know! Have they got to tweak the anaesthetic?

@Nin - I have had many operations since onset of POTS, and anesthesia CAN have some set-backs for dysautonomia patients. The most important thing is for them to give you IV fluids BEFORE the operation! I have always done well with that, as long as they hydrate us with IV fluids before and then monitor us afterwards in a recovery unit I usually do well, no special anesthesia needed. My anesthesiologists already have it marked in my record to give ample fluids prior to the procedure. 

I hope all will go well for you! 

Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome and general anesthesia: a series of 13 cases (dynainc.org)

11 hours ago, Pistol said:

@Nin - I have had many operations since onset of POTS, and anesthesia CAN have some set-backs for dysautonomia patients. The most important thing is for them to give you IV fluids BEFORE the operation! I have always done well with that, as long as they hydrate us with IV fluids before and then monitor us afterwards in a recovery unit I usually do well, no special anesthesia needed. My anesthesiologists already have it marked in my record to give ample fluids prior to the procedure. 

I hope all will go well for you! 

Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome and general anesthesia: a series of 13 cases (dynainc.org)

I did say that I will probably need extra iv fluids, but will mention to have it before op as well. Thanks for the reply!

Guest KiminOrlando

My cardiologist doubled my fludrocortisone 24 hours before my surgery then for 2 days after. Then I took an extra half pill for 2 days. Then I went back to my normal dose and it seemed to help. I don't know if you take fludrocortisone or if that would be a good solution for you, but it might be worth discussing with your doctor if you take fludrocortisone. 

Well i can tell you i have done ok with anesthesia out side of the crap that is used for a colonoscopy (bad drug). my experience is that you will be put on a IV drip at the start of the admission (it is required) for surgery. It does also help to uptake your fluid intake the day before. I have seen the benefits by doing so.

Best,

Mike   

On 9/17/2022 at 4:15 PM, Nin said:

I'm having an operation soon and the last time I went under it made everything worse (pots symptoms). Is there anything different i should have because of pots? I spoke to an anesthetist and she was asking my opinion what might help. How are my supposed to know! Have they got to tweak the anaesthetic?

I recently had. 3 hr biopsy under general anesthesia. I walked in running fluids and they gave me so much I peed when I was still out. All the fluid, anti nausea meds and longer time with holding food was good. I started liquid diet 2 days before and clear liquids 1 day before. I also said no to any narcotics as that is not helpful with my sxs. I got IV Tylenol which helped (even though oral doesn’t do much ). I bounced back pretty quickly. Glad I had drs that listened what dysautonomia could look like and they were on top of it. My temp had a 4 degree swing to it and hr was 120, which is normal for me. Hope all goes well for you but we are all so different it is hard what will work.