Valsalva maneuver

penguin2

Does anyone else notice the valsalva  maneuver increases or causes symptoms? During my autonomic testing study the valsalva was the worst part for me symptom-wise.. now while I'm working with PT he noticed I was holding my breath a lot. Now he is wanting to focus on strengthening my abdominals because I'm creating a valsalva maneuver when I lack core stability, which is what's causing me to be so symptomatic. Wondering if everyone has a rough time with valsalva maneuver or if it's just us potsies? And if it's just us, can someone explain why it's soo hard? 

@penguin2 the valsalva maneuver stimulates the ANS reflex in all people, but in people with dysautonomia it can trigger symptoms. For example - blowing up a balloon can make most people dizzy, but people with dysautonomia can pass out or become symptomatic for hours or even days after. This is because our ANS does not work properly, and cannot return to normal as easy as in people without dysautonomia. 

Yes, strengthening your core muscles is known to improve symptoms in POTS bc they help the body to pump blood back to the heart and head. A good and easy exercise I do even when bedridden is lying on my back and lifting head and legs off the floor for a few seconds, relax for a few seconds and repeat. 

18 hours ago, penguin2 said:

Does anyone else notice the valsalva  maneuver increases or causes symptoms?

This maneuver is likely to help with arrhythmia-type symptoms if they are triggered by a hypersympathetic nervous system, but likely to worsen symptoms if your triggers come from the parasympathetic system. This is my experience and others when dealing with arrhythmia but may extend to other dysautonomia symptoms.