Kaiser denied me health insurance!

ethansmom

I have been without health insurance since December, and I applied to Kaiser last month after talking with TWO people on the phone who assured me that POTS was not on their list of pre-existing conditions. Yesterday I received a letter stating that I was denied because of tachycardia for which I am taking medications to treat. I am sooooo mad! I can appeal it, but what's the point? It's not worth the trouble at this point...back to the free clinic I go, I suppose...

What a bummer. As I said in another post, in my state (NJ) it is illegal to deny coverage of a pre-existing condition...thank goodness, because I have a BOATLOAD.

I hope you are able to get good care anyway. Some docs will take patients pro bono, or for a very reduced fee if they know that you're not able to get coverage. I sure can't hurt to ask at this point.

Nina :unsure:

:angry: Wow! I'm sorry to hear that! We have enough to worry about without them nitpicking to death.

I wish you well, just hang in there -everything happens for a reason. :P I know, it's a hard pill to swallow but just look at how far you've come in spite of all the setbacks! B)

Good Luck and try not to stress....you know where that leads :unsure:

Deanna

I am said for you Jessica!!! That is a real BUMMER! It is illegal in my state also. Thank God or I would be in big trouble. If I leave this state I am going to have to move to another state where it is illegal. I wonder if your state is considering changing the law. Maybe you should write to someone.

Best Wishes,

Dawn

I feel for you. I was also denied health coverage--by Golden Rule, Inc.--my husband and daughter are on it. The broker suggested I try back in a year if I don't have any changes to my health in that time! What a wonderful country we live in--the wealthiest in the world, and we refuse to take care of our sick people properly. Anyway, I went from full-time to part-time and can still get Blue Cross/Blue Shield Carefirst coverage through work, but have to pay 100% of the premium, plus a $300 deductible. It's about 1/3 of my total salary per month.

Well, I am lucky in two ways- one, I work for my doctor, so he has agreed to treat me for free (my POTS doc, that is), and I can go to the free clinic for everything else (common ailments). I am also receiving my Pro-Amatine for free through the clinic, since David and I aren't married I was able to quailify since I only work two days per month. So that's good...I think I'll be okay as long as I don't have to go in the hospital or anything. Even then I think the clinic will help out with the bills.

The worst part is that I wanted to go see Dr. Khurana in Baltimore next month, so now I either come up with the money or cancel the appointment....sigh....

Thank for your kind words, as always :unsure:

Well I'm really going out on a limb here because personally I don't find most religious jokes funny...I guess I'm just sensitive that way. However, the end of this "joke" called the Holy Diet pretty much sums up what I think of insurance companies...........

In the beginning God covered the earth with broccoli, cauliflower, and spinach, green, yellow, and red vegetables of all kinds; so Man and Woman would live long and healthy lives.

Then using God's bountiful gifts, Satan created Ben and Jerry's and Krispy Kreme. And Satan said, "You want hot fudge with that?" And Man said, "Yes!" and Woman said, "I'll have another with sprinkles." And lo, they gained 10 pounds.

And God created the healthful yogurt that Woman might keep the figure that Man found so fair.

And Satan brought forth white flour from the wheat, and sugar from the cane, and combined them. And Woman went from size 2 to size 22

So God said, "Try my fresh green salad."

And Satan presented crumbled Bleu Cheese dressing and garlic toast on the side. And Man and Woman unfastened their belts following the repast.

God then said, "I have sent you heart healthy vegetables and olive oil in which to cook them."

And Satan brought forth deep fried coconut shrimp, butter dipped lobster chunks and chicken-fried steak so big it needed its own platter. And Man's cholesterol went through the roof.

God then brought forth running shoes so that his Children might lose those extra pounds.

And Satan came forth with a cable TV with remote control so Man would not have to toil changing the channels. And man and woman laughed and cried before the flickering light and started wearing stretch jogging suits.

Then God brought forth the potato, naturally low in fat and brimming with potassium and good nutrition.

Then Satan peeled off the healthful skin and sliced the starchy center into chips and deep-fried them in animal fats and added copious quantities of salt. And Man put on more pounds.

God then gave lean beef so that Man might consume fewer calories and still satisfy his appetite.

And Satan created McDonald's and the 99-cent double cheeseburger. Then Lucifer said, "You want fries with that?" and Man replied, "Yes! And super size' em!" And Satan said, "It is good." And Man went into cardiac arrest.

God sighed and created quadruple bypass surgery.

And Satan created HMOs.

Should ask them if they know what the "T" stand for in POTS. I know this stuff all too well. This actually sped up my marriage to my wife as insurance was becoming an issue all too quickly. Fortunately, we were able to COBRA her's until we got her on mine. The one thing that alot of folks don't realize about this insurance thing is that just because they are required to provide it, doesn't mean they have to provide it at a reasonable cost. And to boot, if you have a condition that is that bad, you probably can't work to try to get insurance. It is a horrible, horrible Catch-22 situation.

;) Isn't it the truth though? Healthcare has done to the dogs! Satan and HMOs...I definitely see the connection!

Seriously though I'm so sorry for your situation. Insurance companies are out of control. We pay high premiums for our insurance and still have all kinds of deductibles and exclusions, etc. that we didnt' before but to have none when you need it most...well it is heart breaking and makes me angry...just don't get me started on it. I'm not for government controlled healthcare of whatever they call it like what they have in Canada but these insurance companies need to be made to toe the line here in the US...something needs to change.