Chest Tightness/Pressure During Flare

keeponit33

I certainly remember having a pressure or tightness in my chest area with past flares years ago, but I don’t remember it being this bad! 

The tightness will normally get worse either the longer I stand or how far I walk. 

Can anyone else relate to this? Do I need to just let the flare work itself out? Thanks! 

10 minutes ago, keeponit33 said:

I certainly remember having a pressure or tightness in my chest area with past flares years ago, but I don’t remember it being this bad! 

The tightness will normally get worse either the longer I stand or how far I walk. 

Can anyone else relate to this? Do I need to just let the flare work itself out? Thanks! 

Totally! I used to get chest pressure/tightness a lot, it’s starting to be much less frequently (thank God!).  I don’t know why it’s getting less frequent but it is 🤷🏼‍♀️

I’m a fairly new potsie, so I’m not super knowledgeable on flares.  On a bad day I have to take a break from working or whatever I’m doing to get my HR back down, put my feet up, and hydrate even more than usual.  

i hope you feel better soon! 

@keeponit33 chest pressure and tightness are a common occurrence with POTS. I have read that they happen due to changes in circulation caused by BP changes. The same mechanism can be causing shortness of breath. However - any new or prolonged episodes of chest pressure should - and needs to - be evaluated by a physician. Only if serious causes like heart attack, arrhythmias or blood clots are ruled out ( requiring EKG, xrays and blood work ) can it be related to POTS. I needed a heart cath to get to the bottom of it and they found a rare condition called Prinzmetal angina, which is caused by spams in the coronary vessels. I have HPOTS, which differs from other types of POTS in so far that it is caused by excessive constriction of blood vessels, rather than a lack of constriction. 

As you see - your symptoms CAN "simply" be contributed to your flare, but it also could be that you have something else going on that causes the chest pressure - and could cause you to experience a flare. Have you been fully evaluated by an ER doctor or cardiologist for the chest pressure? If not you should do this right away. 

15 hours ago, keeponit33 said:

I would be a little concerned that you are getting symptoms while moving around. My Cardiologist keeps drilling into me that he wants to know if i start have chest discomfort outside of a resting state.

I would at least discuss what you are feeling with a Doctor.

Wish you the best!   

11 hours ago, MikeO said:

I would be a little concerned that you are getting symptoms while moving around. My Cardiologist keeps drilling into me that he wants to know if i start have chest discomfort outside of a resting state.

I would at least discuss what you are feeling with a Doctor.

Wish you the best!   

Why is that? Most of the time I do have symptoms I’m moving around.  My cardiologist hasn’t said anything that it would be of concern, and another physician only presses to know how long each symptomatic episode is.