Yawn Attacks

Mikayla

Hi 🌻... I just searched for a post about yawning and the most relevant one was from 10years ago so i wanted to start a new thread and see if anyone had similar experiences or information about yawn attacks.

I have these bouts of excessive yawning that tend to hit me after lunch and sometimes at other times.

I tend to yawn for at least 10mins straight.. And big loud yawns feel necessary. I have to lie down and my eyes start watering quite a lot. It seems like it might be helping relieve my fatigue somehow..... like it might be to do with needing more oxygen?

The previous yawning comment thread had someone mention it might be bad to yawn a lot? I dont feel like it would be good (or easy) to suppress it but if there is evidence that it is bad for health then i will certainly try to stop indulging the yawns! 

This has been happening for quite a long time but i only recently realised it is probably something to do with my dysautonomia. (I am diagnosed with POTs and have quite low blood pressure and resting heart rate.)

I am interested if anyone has any info or experience to share about yawns? 

🙏

Hello @Mikayla! Yes, I am familiar with this symptom. For me it happens whenever my norepinephrine levels go up  I start to shake and yawn, sometimes for a long time. I was told that what happens is that the excessive adrenaline causes the blood vessels to constrict which then causes less circulation. Therefore the body will respond by shaking ( I am cold ) and yawning ( to increase the low oxygen levels. 

Since you suffer from low BP and low RHR it could be that your trigger ( a meal ) might cause excessive parasympathetic response. That means for digestion all of the blood goes to the digestive tract and that causes less oxygen to the rest of the body. That can cause fatigue and yawning, since the body is trying to get more oxygen. 

Many POTS patients do not tolerate large meals due to the ANS response worsening symptoms. Therefore most of us do better with frequent snacks than 3 large meals. I eat every 2 hours but keep meals small ( maybe protein and veggies or fruit, no carbs ). I get carbs with the snacks inbetween. This has greatly reduced crashes and improved energy, and I have less GI problems. 

As for yawning being dangerous - I have never heard of that. Obviously we yawn to increase oxygen in the blood - there fore to yawn is to our benefit! I would encourage you try to avoid large meals for a while and see if that helps you. The Parasympathetic System is the "Rest and digest" response whereas the sympathetic system is the "Fight and Flight" response. So it makes sense that you would feel this way after a meal, and eating more often but less heavy meals might stop this symptom. 

Please keep us posted if this helps!

12 hours ago, Mikayla said:

am interested if anyone has any info or experience to share about yawns? 

Yes! A traditional Chinese medicine doctor told me that yawning was very good for me as it changed the balance in the autonomic nervous system, presumably to increase the parasympathetic response. For me this happens nearly every night when I am getting quite tired and it does relieve some of the symptoms and I feel much better after my 10 minute or so yawning session. Hope that helps.

13 hours ago, Pistol said:

Hello @Mikayla! Yes, I am familiar with this symptom. For me it happens whenever my norepinephrine levels go up  I start to shake and yawn, sometimes for a long time. I was told that what happens is that the excessive adrenaline causes the blood vessels to constrict which then causes less circulation. Therefore the body will respond by shaking ( I am cold ) and yawning ( to increase the low oxygen levels. 

Since you suffer from low BP and low RHR it could be that your trigger ( a meal ) might cause excessive parasympathetic response. That means for digestion all of the blood goes to the digestive tract and that causes less oxygen to the rest of the body. That can cause fatigue and yawning, since the body is trying to get more oxygen. 

Many POTS patients do not tolerate large meals due to the ANS response worsening symptoms. Therefore most of us do better with frequent snacks than 3 large meals. I eat every 2 hours but keep meals small ( maybe protein and veggies or fruit, no carbs ). I get carbs with the snacks inbetween. This has greatly reduced crashes and improved energy, and I have less GI problems. 

As for yawning being dangerous - I have never heard of that. Obviously we yawn to increase oxygen in the blood - there fore to yawn is to our benefit! I would encourage you try to avoid large meals for a while and see if that helps you. The Parasympathetic System is the "Rest and digest" response whereas the sympathetic system is the "Fight and Flight" response. So it makes sense that you would feel this way after a meal, and eating more often but less heavy meals might stop this symptom. 

Please keep us posted if this helps!

Thanks Pistol for all the info you shared... You are probably right about meals because i have been having larger meals and not snacking much lately.

Since i always feel tired after eating i tend to put off eating as long as possible to try and get things done. So then by the time i eat i am more hungry and have a larger meal to make up for it. Lately i have been skipping breakfast to try and get things done... And there is so much info on intermittent fasting benefits I have been adopting that rhythm. It works well for me as i usually have no appetite in the morning so it is easier for me to avoid food.

I am also a creature of habit and i can be funny with food so it may take me some effort to change my patterns.... To be honest i have a history of annorexia (which i think is part of developing POTS in the first place)... Though i am managing my eating disorders and weight now it still causes me anxiety to make changes.

I really appreciate your suggestions and will use this as inspiration to look at my habits and change them with self compassion. The learning never stops hey!

Thanks again. 🙏

7 minutes ago, Mikayla said:

that sounds sweet to have a yawning companion 😄 i did not know birds could yawn! 

She is a sweetie. Be surprised how smart and social Quaker Parrots are. She even starts the day off with saying good morning and if i don't respond she will get a bit annoyed and tell me to "say good morning"