Anyone else get worse tachycardia after a blood test?

sunbun

I know the amount they take is pretty minuscule (around 25ml) but I’ve had 3 sets of labs within 6 days and the one today hit me hard. Already slightly anemic which doesn’t help.

Heart rate is now 160+ standing up from 120 earlier today. I also ate some chocolate to get my blood sugar up and forgot chocolate is another trigger for my tachy. Anytime my heart rate climbs this suddenly I tend to get anxious. Does anyone else react like this to even small blood/volume loss?

@sunbun - yes, this happens to me. I am very sensitive to fluid balance in my body, and lab draws can trigger a flare for me. I recently had several serious health issues and needed repeated blood work, including blood cultures. They draw about 50 ml with every set of cultures, and I had 4sets drawn in one week. The week before I had labs drawn from a rheumatologist ( and you may or may not know that they usually order TONS of outlandish sounding blood tests ), so there were another 70 ml drawn. Each time I respond with tachycardia, drop or increase in hR and mild anemia.  But I am lucky because I have a port and can give myself IV fluids when needed, so I can compensate immediately for the loss in volume. 

The best advice I can give to you is to take it easy after blood work, rest, and eat protein and drink a lot of fluids ( and increase salt intake). I know that often doctors order IV bolus fluids as needed when Dysautonomia patients flare like that, so you may discuss this option with your physician. Prior to my port I had a standing order for IV fluids on an as needed basis and could get them at certain Urgent Care Centers or Infusion Centers. 

15 hours ago, sunbun said:

I also ate some chocolate to get my blood sugar up and forgot chocolate is another trigger for my tachy.

I suffer also from hypoglycemia and usually keep either grapes or orange juice around at all times, they provide a boost in easy to digest sugar that reaches the blood fast. But remember to also eat carbs or protein with the sugar, they will assure that the blood sugar stays up and does not drop right away again.