Low Blood Pressure Runny Nose

MikeO

I am curious if anyone else gets a runny nose when their blood pressure gets low. Kinda seeing a pattern with me at least. For the last week or so i have been fairly stable (dry nose, no passing out) but when i woke up this morning my bp had tanked (75/62) and my nose is running again like a firehose. 

I am starting to think the two are linked in someway? Looking back i have noticed the runny nose while being symptomatic.

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

could be from excessive vasodilation, that can cause both low BP as well as a runny nose

I am sure you are right. I will add it to my ( listen to my body list ) I have seen my bp's way low too many times when this happens. It did clear up once my blood pressure went up.

21 hours ago, Pistol said:

Could also be allergies

Well now this has me thinking. I was fine once my bp went up yesterday morning but when i made dinner in the evening (just a lettuce salad, ranch dressing, a bit of parm cheese) my nose started running again, started sneezing profusely (Bird even joined in by saying ahchu) later on my nose become stuffed up. This morning i am fine again.

@MikeO - what type of heat do you have in your house? We have wood heat, so the air gets dry in the winter. Could it be that? When you eat your parasympathetic system gets activated, and that can trigger a runny nose as well. 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

what type of heat do you have in your house?

I have propane heat. I did replace the air filter on the furnace not to long ago. I also have cleaned the house several times thinking that would help. 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

so the air gets dry in the winter. Could it be that?

I get the winter dry air but i have struggled with this for years (happens all throughout the year). I was hoping it was because of the beta-blocker/ace/arb drug cocktail i was taking but nope still with me.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

When you eat your parasympathetic system gets activated, and that can trigger a runny nose as well. 

I will track this one for now it does seem to happen frequently. when the parasympathetic system is activated will that cause a drop in blood pressure? yesterday i did take my bp for the heck of it before i ate was 132/81 and 45 mins later came in at 100/61 despite of staying upright. 

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

when the parasympathetic system is activated will that cause a drop in blood pressure?

Yes, it can. The PNS is the "Rest and digest" branch of the autonomic NS, and causes vasodilation. That in return will cause a drop in BP. Hence we often get tired and lazy after a big meal. 

16 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Yes, it can. The PNS is the "Rest and digest" branch of the autonomic NS, and causes vasodilation. That in return will cause a drop in BP. Hence we often get tired and lazy after a big meal. 

Thanks for the explanation!. For now i will just keep tracking symptoms. Seem like this has been more frequent after we increased my Amlodipine. Before that i would see the drop in bp but no increase in heart rate (my nose still would run). Now i see the drop in bp but see an elevated hr. And to be honest the other week i was surprised when i about passed out (FACE PLANTED) into my bowl of chicken rice soup. my bp dropped but my hr went up to 112 in fact i have noticed much higher heart rates across the board.

I will be talking with Tania next week i will bring it up. If not i will see my Cardiologist in a month so i will print out my spreadsheet and address my concern. 

21 minutes ago, MikeO said:

my bp dropped but my hr went up to 112 in fact i have noticed much higher heart rates across the board.

Mike, it i a normal compensation of the ANS to counteract a drop in BP with a high HR, this is to attempt to still circulate enough blood despite the low BP. 

18 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Mike, it i a normal compensation of the ANS to counteract a drop in BP with a high HR, this is to attempt to still circulate enough blood despite the low BP. 

Again Pistol thanks for the explanation. I should be thankful that the ANS is compensating my usual response to a bp drop is only a few bpm change in hr. I will still present my vitals to the Dr's as i see the higher hr's even with a normal or elevated blood pressures. 

This is just confusing for me. all i know is the increase in meds has had an impact

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

This is just confusing for me. all i know is the increase in meds has had an impact

Yes, and that is good. The problem is to find the right amount and combination of meds because in dysautonomia nothing really works the way it should. But IF you encounter a normal response ( like an increase in HR with a drop in BP ) then that is a really good sign that your ANS is starting to react normal again. HOWEVER - dont get me wrong, it does not mean you are on your way of being cured! Simply that your ANS is ABLE to react normally, so that is very important! When i had a high fever recently I was THRILLED that my ANS responded with tachycardia, because that is the normal response to a fever! But it wont hlp you NOT pass out - trying to compensate does not necessarily mean that the ANS will be successful in its attempt!

Yes, it is very confusing, so much so that most docs dont understand. So if we can piecemeal our way through it then that is what we should do! 

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

I was THRILLED that my ANS responded with tachycardia, because that is the normal response to a fever!

I remember you posting this i was so rooting for you! Hopefully someday we can all can look back and make fun of all the various floors we have inspected or why Mike has a new rule to keep the toilet cover down Lol.

In the meantime i will keep trying and posting my trials and successes.

• 4 weeks later...

So i have been monitoring this month as to when i get a runny nose and what my blood pressures are at the time. The runny nose is very consistent with low bp's  (82/57) and has been a good indicator symptom so far that has kept me out of trouble. 

I am just happy to have put the two together and seems to explain what i have experienced over the years.