Tight throat/chest when standing, dysfunctional breathing.

Pietro

I've been having a very distressing new symptom. Every time I stand up or sit up I start feeling like my throat and chest muscles are getting tight and constricting. It feels like my breathing muscles are getting dysfunctional and that I'm being choked or something. Its very scary. The feeling eventually subsides when lying down, but I can't even stand up for 2 minutes without getting the tight and constricting feeling from my throat all the way down to my diaphragm. Feels like I'll literally stop breathing and that my breathing muscles might spasm or paralyze on me. It feels like I have to breathe manually and get air hunger as well. Doctors are gaslighting as usual, especially after a normal Brain MRI a few months ago. Spo2 is also in normal range during these episodes. Anyone else get this? I'm terrified of this new symptom and terrified I might go into respiratory failure or something.

When you go to the doctor, do they perform the "poor man's" tilt test? BP/HR lying, sitting, standing? Maybe they can pick up something different upon standing? 

I have no idea what it could be, but of course that's probably what's so concerning about it. Our bodies have been through so much, they tend to freak out and exacerbate new symptoms. Hopefully this is a very temporary thing for you. 

Hi Pietrol, sorry you're experiencing yet more misery.

Dyspnea – inability to take a deep breath; breathlessness

I get this a lot and have for many years and I’m still here.

Yesterday morning was bad as I was trying to get it together to go to the ER to see why I was having continuous chest (heart) pain. I also get this during or before other stressful adventures, when the weather is extreme (too hot/too cold), when my blood pressure is low, or I’ve had a busy day, or for no obvious reason.

My best quick fix or help is an extra calming herb (ashwagandha) coupled with a touch-my-toes posture which I hold for awhile while breathing better (coming up slowly afterwards). Also useful is a about half a cc (mL) of pure lavender oil massaged into my abdomen right below the sternum at the diaphragm. I then inhale with cupped hands the residual lavender oil which is very calming. If seated, a bend forward at a 40-45 angle also helps better breathing for me, as while reading or eating or texting. Throughout the day I watch breathing to make sure I am not shortchanging efforts or breathing too shallowly. Earlier this year I went to minimal shoes and love the change which makes better posture easier, lessening episodes of dyspnea. I also try to walk more when I can, not pushing length of walk on bad days. Some days it may take all day to really get a first deep, good breath, then the rest are easier.

There are many reasons for dyspnea and it is associated with many neurological conditions and dysautonomia. There are also many suggested solutions or helps.

Here is a very easy to read journal article related to POTS:  

Breathlessness and dysfunctional breathing in patients with postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS): The impact of a physiotherapy intervention, Charles C. Reillya et al; Autonomic Neuroscience: Basic and Clinical, 223, 102601; 2020

https://www.autonomicneuroscience.com/article/S1566-0702(19)30099-2/fulltext

I tripped out the other day in a bit of a silent, mental PTSD rage after talking to my PCP. When I mentioned that I seem to have a credibility issue with many doctors who seem not to believe anything I say, her response was that I need more documentation of my dysfunctional self. As if autonomic testing and other tests I’ve had are not enough to prove I have issues that someone, somewhere should help me address. One of my professional neuro buds did defend his fellow professionals by saying it is as frustrating for them as it is for us when they have to deal with and manage patients like me who present with a variety of troubling symptoms. Days later, I am still not sure I am totally mollified, but I have soften my heart with regard to him. I still care for and about my PCP who is doing her best and is good for me. If you find professionals who seem the least bit interested in helping you, keep them, don’t push them away, and move forward as best you can.