Medical Term For the Dysautonomia Whoosh

MikeO

Hi,

I am prepping for my visit with the Neurologist office in a couple of weeks. One symptom i struggle with describing to the medical professionals is the classic whoosh that a lot of folks with dysautonomia experience. It is usually met with i never heard of that or i don't understand and if i am in a flare i have a hard time getting the word out to get the point across.

I have heard pulsatile tinnitus used, not sure if it is simple as that or is there another term used for this. I know were all all a bit different but i am sure what i feel is close to other folks.

Make a postural change, feel some pressure and whooshing, lightheadedness and if it progresses have the need to sit or go down.

Thanks in advance

Mike   

Hello @MikeO - I get this too, it is caused by sudden drop of BP. In Germany there is name for this: Hoersturz, but in english the only name for it is Tinnitus. It is a common and typical phenomenon  that is part of presyncope: almost fainting, or about to faint. In some people it can actually lead to temporary hearing loss, and they treat this with IV fluids, to restore volume and BP. My sister and cousin get this frequently and go to their ENT for IV fluids whenever it does not improve on its own. I never had it more than just a second pr two before either fainting or lying down, so the circulation to the head improves and the symptoms goes away. I explain ot to my doctors that I can feel and hear all of the blood drain from my head ( which is actually what happens 😒).