barometric pressure and POTS flares

Pistol

There have been several posts regarding this matter in the past, but I wanted to share this finding. 

Many of us notice flares - or at least worsening of some symptoms - with weather changes or when traveling to places at different elevations than we are used to. I travelled last summer from my home at 3000 feet elevation to the ocean ( obviously at sea level, duh! ), and the minute I stepped out of the car I flared big time, having to stay in the hotel for almost the entire stay. I also experience flares every time the weather changes suddenly from good to bad ( stormy, windy, rain, cold front moving in etc ). During these times I experience severe vasoconstriction leading to cold hands and feet, tachycardia, high BP, brain fog, orthostatic intolerance etc, all seem to improve when better weather comes back. 

In the summer I cannot ( and most of us can't ) tolerate heat and humidity, I have to stay inside or else pass out. I am so severely affected by temperature changes that i have to adjust some of my meds according to the seasons ( Diltiazem And beta blocker at higher doses in winter, when I suffer more from vasoconstriction ). 

I have always wondered why that is, since there do not seem to be studies done on this in regards to POTS, although most of us experience the same. So I came across this simple worded article Physical Effects of Barometric Pressure Changes (azcentral.com)  that states the following: 

"When the barometric pressure falls, so does the amount of oxygen in the air. Blood vessels react by dilating or constricting and the sinus cavity often responds to this change with a sinus headache."

The article also explains why we experience increases in joint pain and sinus trouble during weather changes. I always was aware of me responding drastically to barometric pressure changes but this article is the first I read that explains why. Makes a lot of sense!!!!!!

Hi Pistol

Thanks for sharing the article it does make sense . I wasn’t aware of the oxygen level drop . 
Yes barometric pressure really affects me and temperature changes too. We had weeks of cold wet weather about 9 degrees , that changed to 21 this weekend and it just wiped me out , BP really low even with midodrine . Chugging water by the litre ! 

• 1 year later...

Thank you! I've definitely seen this in myself. I live in NC, so there are a lot of thunderstorms and consistently high humidity levels. My worst symptoms happen leading up to and during storms as the barometric pressure drops. I get extreme shortness of breath and chest pain / tightness, which is scary, until I go check the weather to reassure myself there is a reason for it ;) When I check my vitals, there is usually a correlating drop in SpO2 (sometimes down to 88-90%), though BP and heart rate usually stay at my normal. I've never been able to show this drop to my care providers though, and my lung function tests are always normal. Does anyone else get chest pain with storms? And if so, have you found anything that gives relief? I do have an albuterol inhaler (don't have asthma, it's just in case for the random times I have trouble breathing), but really don't like to use it as it spikes my heart rate / adrenaline. 

My dr. thinks I have mast cell issues (multiple new reactions to food, drugs, chemicals, etc. over the last two years), and I'm wondering if there may be a connection, since the reactions and sensitivity to pressure changes started at the same time... 

• 6 months later...

Kel15, you are spot on. I have POTS Syndrome (Dysautonomia) and MCAS. I live in Virginia and work half the time in NJ. I found that the barometer pressure in NJ is friendlier to my Dysautonomia than in Virginia. I am almost asymptomatic in New Jersey aside from July and August; but when I come home to Virginia I suffer. Highly UV-sensitive (No sunroofs), blood pressure fluctuates (99/60), IBS, dizziness, chest discomfort, etc. I am also discovering new things that I am allergic to as well; secondary to MAST cell activation syndrome. Cooking fumes and other odors are a major trigger for me and I use an inhaler as well at the risk of raising my heat rate. I have found several NIH articles reporting that changes in barometric pressure is a trigger for not only pots patients, but inflames anyone with an autoimmune disorder. So I take Motrin, and rub a small amount of hydrocortisone cream in my forearm and an hour later I’m symptom-free. We do have higher levels of circulating adrenaline than normal people so low-dose alprazolam keeps me out of the Emergency Department. Barometric pressure wrecks havoc on the body causing inflammation. So anti-inflammatory meds will get you through. :)

On 7/16/2022 at 2:08 PM, kel15 said:

Thank you! I've definitely seen this in myself. I live in NC, so there are a lot of thunderstorms and consistently high humidity levels. My worst symptoms happen leading up to and during storms as the barometric pressure drops. I get extreme shortness of breath and chest pain / tightness, which is scary, until I go check the weather to reassure myself there is a reason for it ;) When I check my vitals, there is usually a correlating drop in SpO2 (sometimes down to 88-90%), though BP and heart rate usually stay at my normal. I've never been able to show this drop to my care providers though, and my lung function tests are always normal. Does anyone else get chest pain with storms? And if so, have you found anything that gives relief? I do have an albuterol inhaler (don't have asthma, it's just in case for the random times I have trouble breathing), but really don't like to use it as it spikes my heart rate / adrenaline. 

My dr. thinks I have mast cell issues (multiple new reactions to food, drugs, chemicals, etc. over the last two years), and I'm wondering if there may be a connection, since the reactions and sensitivity to pressure changes started at the same time...