Beta Blocker Question

HCD77

Just started propranolol again ... 20 mg 3 times a day...it is doing a good job of bringing down heart rate , but side effects are feeling of shortness of breath and being really tired after exertion. How long did you give the beta blocker to work and get optimum dosage? Thank you 

Hi - the tiredness is normal, I had it with Metoprolol. Bystolic and Carvelidol. It lasts for a few weeks but eventually goes away. The shortness of breath goes away too, but I would decrease the dosage and slowly increase it when I got too short of breath. 

I've found that I do the same on a low dose (10-20 mg once per day) as I did on a normal dose (60 mg). I believe there's literature somewhere about low dose beta blockers being more beneficial in POTS too, but don't remember where. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=low+dose+beta+blocker+for+pots&oq=low+dose+beta+blocker+for+pots&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i22i29i30.5252j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Thank you @Pistoland @MTRJ75, that’s good to know it will hopefully get better. Last time I just discontinued it after several days because of side effects and TTT . I also just got my second Covid 19 booster on March 2nd , so I was wondering if that could have effected me. I felt pretty bad the day after for about 24 hours. Still so glad I got it. Hope I didn’t get a flare from the shot . I’m going to give it 2 weeks. I just don’t like staying on a med when I know it won’t work because then getting off of it can be a real challenge with the taper or withdrawal. Thanks again 😃

• 2 weeks later...

I had severe insomnia and fatigue with propranolol. Bisoloprolol was better, but Bystolic was much better. I've used Bystolic for years, I just word from my pharmacy that my insurance has decided that they don't want to cover it anymore. I'm also using Corlanor (Ivabradine) that insurance had initially covered but also decided that they don't want to pay for it. I"m noting getting Ivabradine (generic) from Canada via mail order. I may see about getting generic Bystolic from Canada was well.