Found a Countermeasure for my Palpitation Attacks

Chuske

For awhile now I've had what I call palpitation attacks where I feel odd, kind of on edge and then heart beat gets very strong then ramps up to 130 then drops down to 80 and the goes up and down between 80 and 110.  After wards I get shaking jaw and muscle contractions in my legs.

First few times I went to A&E (ER) but always nothing was found by the time is saw anyone.  These days I don't bother unless it lasts.

Anyway, today for the first time I noticed the warning signs before the heart rate ramped up and noticed stomach was bloated and I was a little thirsty.  So I drank water and did a yoga twist to help get the gas up and for the first time I averted the worst of the attack. 

So looks like the 3 factors that combine to trigger an attack are dehydration, gas (burps) creating pressure under the diaphragm and being a bit fatigued or had a stressful day the day before.

So means I need to be extra careful with hydration on days I'm run down and to make sure gas doesn't build up in my stomach.

Sharing in case it helps others.

Nice! 

I certainly feel the digestive component. I've had some of my tachycardia attacks with PVCs come on when I've been a bit active during the day and then eat carbs or something very hot like soup.

Unfortunately, the warning signs are the PVCs and I'm already up to 130 by the time I notice. What's a yoga twist though? 

19 hours ago, MTRJ75 said:

Nice! 

I certainly feel the digestive component. I've had some of my tachycardia attacks with PVCs come on when I've been a bit active during the day and then eat carbs or something very hot like soup.

Unfortunately, the warning signs are the PVCs and I'm already up to 130 by the time I notice. What's a yoga twist though? 

Soup or fluids are more of a trigger then solid food I also notice risotto rice can also be a trigger.

Yoga twist is sitting crossed legged and simply twisting from the waist to look behind you and hold that pose for a bit then go the other way.  It can help to put the hand on the side you are twisting towards behind you (close to your body) and the other hand on the opposite knee.  So if twisting to the left then left hand is on the floor behind you and the right on the left knee.

Another way is lying on your side with legs pulled up (almost foetal position) and the raise your upper body of the bed and also twist gently at the same time.

Okay, so it's basically what it sounds like. Thought the word yoga in front of it might mean something fancier. Used to do a lot of stretching like that back when I was able to work out. Still try to, but it's not always easy. Makes sense that stretching yourself out like that might move along the gas easier. 

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I thought I had got myself in a robust and stable remission but just this week have had my first big flare in over 2 years, after a lot of stress and a possible stomach bug.  I didn't get an email ntification of your reply and only here to reread what I did last time to get out of these dire and horrible flares.

I'll try and let you know how I get on, biggest issue at the moment is adrenaline surges and hot flushes disrupting sleep and the sleep loss worsening the symptoms, ie viscous circle

I have these. What helped me was either stopping carbs (oats, bread) or having lots of protein with carbs. I noticed that on days where I stress my spine they are worse. I think it’s a combination of spine, vagus nerve and GI. The last few days I have been taking 1 tbsp charcoal, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar. This seems to help. I just sent my SIBO test off so  eager to see the results. Likely the carbs are upsetting some serotonin producing bad bacterial overgrowth.

I’ve found that breathing exercises can prevent being triggered and stop the event once triggered. The most helpful for me have been variations of “boxed breathing”. Basically these involve consciously controlling your breath and counting inspiration, hold, expiration, hold, repeat. A simple box is 4 in, 4 hold, 4 out, 4 hold. More advanced are longer holds such as 6 in, 20 hold, 16 out, 10 hold. I find an immediate effect in both symptoms (palpitations) AND signs (HR and BP). 

I trigger hard and fast with any standing, stress, activity, or environmental factors (heat, light), commonly reaching numbers like HR 185+, BP 205/110, at this point the POTS will drive me flat, diving across furniture, bed, or floor (housebound so no worries about public spaces right now). BUT after just 1-5 minutes of box breathing I consistently see amazing improvements, HR 60, BP 115/75!!! 🤯

There are many resources regarding these breathing techniques online. The US Navy Seals use box breathing to help troops focus going in combat! My favorite resource in the “Insight” app, should be available in app stores, it was free! The icon is a wooden bowl. All kinds of great stuff here, but just search for “box breathing”.

I know how scary this symptom can be! I was bedridden for 8 months and expected to die (pre-POTS diagnosis)! My heart would hurt so bad and the palpations would shake my body! I am so much more comfortable now that I can reliably control these! Good luck and best wishes!

Sincerely,

Doug