Barrett's Esophagus

Guest KiminOrlando

Guest KiminOrlando

Anyone here get diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus from the acid reflux due to gastroparesis? Just had an endoscopy today and they did a biopsy because they suspect that I have it. It will take a week to get the results back from pathology so I won't know for a bit. Any advice would be appreciated.  Thx.

@KiminOrlando - yes, I was diagnosed with Barrett's in the beginning of my POTS journey. I had severe Reflux and the EGD showed Barrett's and duodenitis. They put me on Protonix twice a day, Carafate ( coats the stomach ) and the most effective was a combination of Mylanta, Phenobarbital and viscous Lidocaine ( called GI cocktail and needs to be mixed by pharmacy ). They also briefly put me on Reglan but only for a few weeks b/c it has severe permanent side effects. I took these meds for a year and my next EGD had no Barrett's or inflammation. My father died of esophageal cancer, so the Barrett's diagnosis was quite concerning. 

In addition to the meds I also changed my eating habits and diet: 6-8 small snacks a day instead of 3 large meals, avoid acidic foods, only cooked or steamed veggies. With this diet I have been able to avoid abnormal EGD's since ( I get checked every 2 years. )