Tachycardia Flares near Ovulation?

Does anyone else (with a cycle) struggle with tachycardia or flares near specific times? I’ve been keeping a journal of symptoms, and I have my nocturnal tachy episodes and sleep disturbances increase every cycle right around my ovulation. Like most tachy episodes, last night started with intense coat-hanger pain. No amount of massage or ice/heat could quell the tension or discomfort. I felt extremely anxious for no apparent reason, and I couldn’t focus on television or the book I tried to read. (I am autistic, so sensory overload is not rare. However, this was quite overwhelming in comparison to my usual. )The sense of dread and fear and confusion that comes with these episodes is just awful. When I finally tried to go to bed, I felt pressure in my neck and head, and my pulse was beating so hard and fast through my entire body. It took double my usual dose of lorazepam to get me to calm down enough to get to sleep within a couple of hours. The intense episodes typically last 45 minutes to 2 hours and are so exhausting. I’ve seen my HR go above 165 and have sustained over 125bpm for the majority of the time.  

I’m still feeling tachy and anxious today as well, and I just want a break from the symptoms. It feels like there is very little room in my cycle to be symptom free! How do I bring this up with doctors? I see a cardiologist on Feb 2, but I feel like any time I bring up these sorts of connections I am shrugged off. 

• 1 year later...

Wow its almost like you are describing my symptoms to me. I've always had issues around ovulation, but this month (my first cycle after having COVID) made me feel like something was very very wrong. Yesterday I woke up with a heart rate in the 130s, and went up to 150s when I stood up. Ended up in the ER, they gave me a heart monitor. Of course today my heart rate is totally normal, now that I'm further out from ovulation. I am also seeing a cardiologist and feel like I should bring this up. [I'm 31 years old]

@flowntheloop and @watercolorist -- my symptoms are definitely influenced by hormonal changes. I was told by the first cardiologist I saw that hormones weren't an issue. But, I subsequently found a female cardiologist who confirmed that our cycles will affect how we feel. I have read on the archives here that some women do well with an IUD that stops ovulation while it doesn't help others. For me, I feel better in the second part of my cycle, when estrogen is lower and progesterone is present. I suspect estrogen increases my symptoms - lowers my BP and effects my circulation in a way that isn't helpful to me. I am working to get my hormones checked over my next cycle b/c I suspect my progesterone is actually running on the low side. I really struggle with ectopics and apparently higher estrogen levels are associated with more PVCs:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8617862/

@Pistol shared an article with me previously that discussed the association b/w female hormones and POTS. I can't find it now, but it is on here somewhere!!