Low carb diet and postprandial hypotension

Daryl Ann

For years I have been suffering with low blood pressure after eating, especially after breakfast.  I have talked to numerous doctors, cardiologist and neurologists alike.  As I age, the problem has become worse and this summer my activities have been severely limited.  Since I have had difficult side effects with the traditional medications prescribed for dysautonomia,  I searched the internet for some lifestyle changes that might help.  I found an article summarizing research published in the Journal of gerontology and biological sciences in 2001 that suggested a low carb diet.  I have changed my eating habits around breakfast and lunch and have had remarkable results so far.  Another suggestion from the research was to keep moving after eating meals.  That, too, has helped.  I feel like I have my life back!  After searching for answers for so long, I wanted to share what seems like a simple remedy.

4 hours ago, Daryl Ann said:

For years I have been suffering with low blood pressure after eating, especially after breakfast.  I have talked to numerous doctors, cardiologist and neurologists alike.  As I age, the problem has become worse and this summer my activities have been severely limited.  Since I have had difficult side effects with the traditional medications prescribed for dysautonomia,  I searched the internet for some lifestyle changes that might help.  I found an article summarizing research published in the Journal of gerontology and biological sciences in 2001 that suggested a low carb diet.  I have changed my eating habits around breakfast and lunch and have had remarkable results so far.  Another suggestion from the research was to keep moving after eating meals.  That, too, has helped.  I feel like I have my life back!  After searching for answers for so long, I wanted to share what seems like a simple remedy.

That makes sense since many of us get splanchnic (abdominal) pooling of blood and eating carbs makes it worse. I have asked into a restaurant, had a high carb meal and then was unable to walk out!

@Daryl Annand @Sushi - yes, eating a low carb diet is generally recommended to avoid postprandial dropping. Carbs use a lot for digestion and therefore the body redirects blood flow to the digestive tract. Pasta, Breads etc essentially " lay like cement " in your gut and therefore immediately need more circulation in the abdomen. 

Moving after eating ( if you tolerate activity ) also counteracts blood flow from going to the gut, since it is needed in the leg muscles, so a "digestive stroll" is good!!!

• 1 year later...

I have been recently diagnosed with Postprandial Hypotension. My care team did finally figure this out while working with me to fine tune meds and the timing as to when to take them. What we do see is if i take my first dose of meds before bed i would experience more presyncope episodes after breakfast and lunch time but my evenings would be pretty good. first dose of meds in the morning and my evenings are problematic after dinner.

Typical example is having a lettuce and baloney sandwich for lunch and my bp goes from 130/79 to 108/58 within 45 mins but at dinner after eating just two small street tacos i drop from 121/73 to 84/51. Somewhere i did read that getting off your feet and elevating them is suggested but, i can confirm this just makes things worse.

Not sure how i am going to be able to handle eating maybe trying the low carb "carnivorous carnivore" diet. Upside is at least i have one symptom that is predictable in my Dysautonomic journey.    

@MikeO you might end up turning into a "Grazer" like me. I used to have myriads of symptoms, including syncope, after meals. One of my worst food-related symptoms was brain fog - not good when you work 12 hour shifts as a RN! So I sat down with a nutritionist and figured out what foods to avoid: top of the list was anything difficult to digest, like certain sugars, most carbs, and meat fat. Then we determined a schedule that allows me to eat as much as I want but avoid meals ( or when I have a sit down meal I eat only certain things ). Now I eat about every 2 hours but only small amounts and my postprandial symptoms have hugely improved. I still get to cook for my family and sit down for meals, I just do my own thing during the day. This has also fixed my GI issues and improved my overall feeling of well being. 

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

One of my worst food-related symptoms was brain fog

Funny you mention this last night when my bp was really low i had a bad case of brain fog "thought it was sunday" so i was confused when the typical saturday TV shows were on Haha.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

This has also fixed my GI issues

I do feel that this has a hand in my GI issues. or at least makes sense to me now. 

@MikeO, @Pistol -- I recently added a post-dinner walk to my daily routine, not intentionally, but mainly b/c it has been stupid crazy hot here in TX and this is the only time of day I can walk w/o my heart racing from the heat. In doing this, I noticed that my weird nightly PVC burden has subsided, at least some of the time. I was wondering if the two were related. Maybe so after reading this thread!! I have also noticed that I feel SO MUCH BETTER after a low carb meal vs a high carb meal. This also seems to agree with experience of others 🙂 I can be a salad/veggie/protein girl the rest of my life if this allows me to feel more like a normal person!

@MikeO -- Yes!! There is a place in my area called Local Foods and almost everything there is amazing, especially the salads. There is an Asian chicken salad that is a dysautonomia persons dream -- a soy sauce-based dressing and pickled cucumbers. So much salt and so fresh. I feel great after one of these salads!!