Steroids and POTS

Pistol

I am considering taking low dose steroids for generalized joint pain unrelieved by NSAIDS. Since I have HPOTS with hypertension ( currently controlled ) I am not supposed to take high doses of steroids. My question is: Has anyone with HPOTS taken steroids and how did you tolerate them? what dosage did you take? 

Thanks in advance for any replies 😊

@Pistol I am sorry that you are suffering. I know it well. I tried hydrocortisone 5mg, probably a half tablet a few years back for joint pain from UCTD and it gave me tachycardia. I don’t remember what it did to my blood pressure but I think it raised it. I have found the greatest relief from hydroxychloroquine at the right dose. I know that you tested negative for autoimmune disease but so did I for 30 years before one turned up positive on the third test in 18 months. It might be worth asking for another test? 

Guest KiminOrlando

I agree with @p8d. There is an underlying problem that is likely autoimmune. I also take hydroxychloroquine. I have taken steroids and coming off was brutal. I now have osteoporosis. Steroids only mask the problem. It is better to treat the problem directly. Is your ANA elevated at all?

Thanks, @p8d and @KiminOrlando. No - they have tested all of labs several times over the years and I even had a complete rheumatologist work-up last year. The only thing that is always elevated is my ESR. -- I have an appointment with ortho coming up, I will ask about hydroxychloroquine.  Thanks for mentioning it!!!! Best wishes - Susanne