Creating the first 3D map of the heart's 'brain'

MTRJ75

23 hours ago, MTRJ75 said:

I'm not sure how this can help us, but it seems important and was recently posted on the Dys Int FB page. 

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/first-3d-map-heart-neurons-153000974.html

Maybe it will lead to a better understanding of PVCs? 

Ah ha! This is information I have been looking for. I have Afib as well as Dysautonomia and the recommended treatment (if antiarrythmic drugs fail) is cardiac ablation. For those not familiar with this procedure, an electrophysiologist goes into the left atrium with a catheter that either freezes or burns lesions into the heart—these form scar lines that prevent errant electrical signals from disrupting normal sinus rhythm. But, when creating these lesions, autonomic ganglia are also damaged and this often effects the heart rate—occasionally creating POTS or the need for a pacemaker. These autonomic ganglia must be part of the “heart’s brain.” My EP says that you can’t avoid damaging this system when you do an ablation. This especially true as the first target of ablation is the tissue around the openings to the pulmonary veins.

The 3D map showed that ICN neurons are located in clusters at the top of the heart where the veins and arteries attach.

To me, it would seem that an ablation would be particularly risky fora Dysautonomia patient. I have read on this forum of several members who developed HR disturbances after an ablation.