Osteopath Update

MeganMN

Hello all! I have finally made it back to the Osteopath and wanted to give an update.  After the first visit, my daily headaches stopped. The dizziness was MUCH less. The tinnitus in my ear stopped. My sinuses improved. MY palpitations lessened and the tachycardia went from all day to only in the morning and late at night! It all started to come back and I just went again and the symptoms seem like they get worse for a few days and then better again!!!!

She does Osteopathic Manipulation. Hard to explain, getting my system to work together again, she said my Sympathetic Nervous System was totally on overdrive. I found one study on a correlation between POTS and Osteopathic Manipulation being successful to minimize symptoms. I do not usually push things like that but it definitely helped me!  

Here is what I got off the Internet:

Osteopathic physicians, also known as DOs, work in partnership with their patients. They consider the impact that lifestyle and community have on the health of each individual, and they work to break down barriers to good health. DOs are licensed to practice the full scope of medicine in all 50 states. They practice in all types of environments, including the military, and in all types of specialties, from family medicine to obstetrics, surgery, and aerospace medicine.

Osteopathic Philosophy

DOs are trained to look at the whole person from their first days of medical school, which means they see each person as more than just a collection of organ systems and body parts that may become injured or diseased. This holistic approach to patient care means that osteopathic medical students learn how to integrate the patient into the health care process as a partner. They are trained to communicate with people from diverse backgrounds, and they get the opportunity to practice these skills in their classrooms and learning laboratories, frequently with standardized and simulated patients.

In addition to studying all of the typical subjects you would expect student physicians to master, osteopathic medical students take approximately 200 additional hours of training in the art of osteopathic manipulative medicine. This system of hands-on techniques helps alleviate pain, restores motion, supports the body’s natural functions and influences the body’s structure to help it function more efficiently. 

I know DO's are taught chiropractic techniques. I won't do them as I've had 3 spine surgeries and I won't let one touch me anymore. I used to go to a chiro before my spine problems though, but only for things like sciatica and brachial plexus problems. Now I am fused L4-5 and C2-6 and more will be needed later. Bad genetics, a good many years being obese and lifting heavy things contributed to this. I have to wonder if being a premie and having a huge growth spurt matters too. 

13 minutes ago, MeganMN said:

It is totally different than chropractic! No adjusting like that, just subtle movements. But I totally understand with the back history! Just wanted to share my success. At this point I will take what I can get!

Whatever works. There are times I wish I could get my back cracked, but I'll skip it. 

My chiropractic care I don't feel like it helps my POTS. In theory it could. Personally when I don't go though my body pain is too bad. I have heard of an herbalist in my area that does wonders though. Problem is my insurance would not cover it so until I get a decent amount of cash I can't go see him. He has done wonders for people I know though. 

Congrats on your success. Hope it keeps working for you.