coping/feeling alone/questions

lildia

Hi! I’m feeling more alone than usual  

I was diagnosed with POTS officially in August 2018. I am in my senior year of college, literally my last semester but it has been a living h***. At this point I’ve missed so much class that going to class stresses me out incredibly. I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder March 2017, but I think it could be POTS. I’m definitely having panic attacks regularly along with POTS symptoms. 

Whats bothering me the most right now is my sinuses, I’ve been getting ear infections/sinus infections since I was a toddler. However, they seem to be getting a lot worse. I had surgery that seemed to help for a little bit in 2016. 

The only thing that helps the nausea is weed and fluids (obvi salt). I’m not functioning anymore, not even sure if I ever really was. I guess what I’m looking for is if addiction, substance abuse has ever been a part of your story and how are you coping with things?

also, I’ve noticed I’m getting these like extra skin patches (?) at the corner of my pith. When I searched online, it seemed to be a symptom of diabetes but ive been tested several times and diabetes has never really been a conversation. 

Also, how do you deal with the guilt? And the weight gain instead of loss? 

Dear @lildia - if you are suffering from any infection - you mention sinuses - POTS will be worse. Nausea is a symptom of POTS - there are prescription meds like Zofran that help me. Regarding your question about substance abuse: do you feel that you are taking too much of any substance? Please bring up your concerns about skin patches to your doctor - they should be evaluated. This forum is not able - or allowed - to give medical advice, so bringing this up to your doctor is very important. 

POTS is sometimes misdiagnosed as GAD, so you have a valid alternate hypothesis there.  Try telling yourself during the next panic attack that it is just your body overreacting, and wait it out patiently.  I can't speak to substance abuse, but surely there are people on campus who can help with that?  As for guilt, it depends what you're feeling guilty about.  It is totally valid to feel guilty for doing something you know to be wrong.  In this case, resolve to stop doing whatever it was, forgive yourself, and move on.  If you're feeling guilty about not being able to do things because of POTS, that is another matter entirely.  Misplaced guilt.   American culture right now is so very utilitarian that it can be hard not to feel this way (You said "college" and not "uni" so I'm assuming you're from USA.).  The worth of a person in a utilitarian sense is in what they can do.  Focus instead on being countercultural by valuing yourself (and others) for who you are (a human!  a unique one!).  Also try spending some time each day thinking about things that are true, good, and beautiful.  That helps to counteract negativity in general.