water

Hi @gossamer4448, it's trial and error getting the right ratio of salt and water. While many people are helped by drinking lots of water you also need to remember that the more you drink, the more electrolytes get washed out of your system so if you're drinking a lot of water you need a lot of salt. This is also why sports and electrolyte drinks are recommended. Try different amounts of each over time and keep a diary to see how you feel. I have non-POTS dysautonomia and actually feel better when I cut down on my water intake. This may be completely the opposite for you.

Guest ScottS

4 liters (a little over a gallon) of H2O should be plenty (in my estimation). That's in the general neighborhood of how much I drink. (I'm 6'3", 200 pounds.) If you're having issues with your gut , as many with dysautonomia do, eating softer foods (soups, cooked veggies and etc.) can help. So far as salt and electrolytes go, I average between 3 and 4 grams total per day. Most of my salt intake is via Campbell's Chunky Soup and a daily serving of commercial made ramen (organic, not the icky fried stuff). I also regularly eat a small handful of Cheetos when I feel the need for a quick pick-me-up. Needless to say, because I have significant POTS and dysautonomia related gut issues, my diet is about as bland and boring as it gets.

I agree with Echo. Keeping a diary or journal that includes a regular accounting of your intake of fluids in combination with your consumption of salts and electrolytes helps. Be sure to also note how you've been feeling and also the time time of day. 

PS You can easily make your own sports type (Gatorade and etc.) drink by adding a bit of salt to diluted fruit juice. My favorite mix is 8 ounces of cranberry juice cocktail (the kind that's sweetened only with fruit juice) combined with 24 ounces of filtered water with a 1/4 teaspoon of salt well mixed in. It doesn't taste half bad and also doesn't upset my stomach if i"m drinking it on the go or when exercising. (It's also pennies on the dollar cheaper than Gatorade.)