I don’t understand what’s happening.

Outaker

Hi guys,

33 male here.. very confused and scared since last month where I had an incident in my bath tub where my pulse shot up to 150.. completely freaking me out making me think that I was having a heart attack. I went to a cardio who said I was fine and nothing was wrong with me and prescribed me propanolol 10mg of which I only take 5mg a day 

Regafdless since then I got a pulse monitor Apple Watch and a oxi meter and I have a few questions 

i notice that I hade a lot of sudden crazy jumps in pulse when I move around or stretch :( 

my laying down pulse is low 60”s but when I get up I get this weird fluttering in my chest and pulse goes to 110 initially but then starts coming down after a minute to 80 is this pots? Or must it be sustained???

Can propanolol really have such a big impact on controlling pots ?

Hello @Outaker - in dysautonomia the tachycardia has to be sustained after standing, it is considered normal to have a sudden, short jump in HR upon standing. But I would be concerned about any fluttering sensations as you describe. I would ask your doc for a halter monitor that can monitor your every beat over many weeks. You can push a button to alert the company if you have ant syptoms but any abnormal rhythm gets recorded regardless. This will show if any of your bouts of fast HR or palpitations are from an arrhythmia. This will help getting to the bottom of these spells. --- Yes, beta blockers are a first line treatment in POTS and many tachycardias. If the lower dose does not prevent these HR spikes you might want to increase to the dose your cardiologist ordered. Be well - keep us posted!!!

Propranolol is the first medication used for POTS. Small doses is also used for anxiety and tachycardia.  And sustained jump in HR is what they are looking for. That being said moving usually brings it down slightly. 

Everyone on this forum has been where you are (regardless if you actually have POTS). Unknown symptoms and no obvious cause is pretty normal here. I am sorry you are having such a hard time. If you are concerned about any symptom I would go to a doctor you trust. I would also do a poor man's tilt table for at least a couple days and show the data to your doctor as well. 

• 1 month later...