Virus worsening POTS symptoms? Worried?

I've been experiencing chills for a week and now I've had some kind of virus for 3 days. Started with some diarrhea then got a mild fever and HR went up. Weak, fatigued, nauseous. Feel sweaty and shivery. The main thing I'm worried about is I'm currently extremely dizzy. I'm not dehydrated and when I had my bp checked it was NOT low (my blood pressure is usually slightly high) but I still feel sooooo faint even just from raising my head off the pillow. Even laying down doesn't fully resolve it. I have a lot of anxiety about my heart and these symptoms are worsening my anxiety. I went to a&e on Monday and they told me just to rest and drink plenty of fluids.

The previous time I had a nasty virus was a year ago. It was one of those 24 hour stomach flus. It was terrible, I think I puked 10+ times in one night and couldn't even keep a sip of water down. I was extremely dehydrated that time but even then I never experienced this level of dizziness or tachycardia. 

Do you find flu worsens your POTS and can anyone share their experiences? 

Yes - viruses exaggerate POTS. Extremely so. But please know that the fatigue, dizziness and malaise that comes along with a viral infection is normal, it happens to anybody. The tachycardia and palpitations are expected, even syncope is not uncommon. The best thing to do is wait it out, drink lots of fluids - chicken broth has a lot of electrolytes and salt - and keep your fever down. And even if you are not dehydrated - IV fluids are extremely helpful in a case like that. Get better soon!!!!

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Yes - viruses exaggerate POTS. Extremely so. But please know that the fatigue, dizziness and malaise that comes along with a viral infection is normal, it happens to anybody. The tachycardia and palpitations are expected, even syncope is not uncommon. The best thing to do is wait it out, drink lots of fluids - chicken broth has a lot of electrolytes and salt - and keep your fever down. And even if you are not dehydrated - IV fluids are extremely helpful in a case like that. Get better soon!!!!

Thanks. I've seen a lot of people mention that their POTS worsens when they're sick. But I'm worried as I see to be experiencing some heavy achey sensation and tightness across my chest and shoulders. I don't have other body aches so this is scaring me. I'm wondering if I should go to a&e again but I've already been on Friday and Monday. I'm really anxious. The doctors did not check my troponin levels even though I had tachycardia and told them my chest felt uncomfortable :(

Dr took my blood pressure and listened to my chest. The chest tightness has subsided but I'm getting a slight ache in my left shoulder and arm, which of course is also heightening my anxiety. Dr gave me 2mg diazepam so hopefully I can stop having these panic attacks on top of this illness. I'm a little nervous about taking any kind of new meds but I'm going through so much emotional distress right now, I don't know what the alternative is. 

Don't worry about taking diazepam, I have all the same symptoms as you but chronically, no virus, and diazepam helps me greatly. I use it sparingly so as not to develop tolerance. You are lucky to have a GP willing to prescribe. 

And please don't worry about the troponin - if you're the typical POTS demographic (premenopausal female) and don't smoke and your ECG was normal, it would be EXTREMELY unlikely to have a raised troponin. 

Hope you feel better soon,

B x

1 hour ago, bombsh3ll said:

Don't worry about taking diazepam, I have all the same symptoms as you but chronically, no virus, and diazepam helps me greatly. I use it sparingly so as not to develop tolerance. You are lucky to have a GP willing to prescribe. 

And please don't worry about the troponin - if you're the typical POTS demographic (premenopausal female) and don't smoke and your ECG was normal, it would be EXTREMELY unlikely to have a raised troponin. 

Hope you feel better soon,

B x

Thank you for your kind words. I took the diazepam about 2 hours ago and I was feeling a little better and slightly more relaxed, but now I seem to be having some kind of hot flush? My face is going bright red and I feel hot. I just talked to the pharmacist and he said to talk to my doctor tomorrow but now I'm scared I'm having an allergic reaction to the diazepam?? He said diazepam allergies are rare but occasionally do happen.

Edit: the facial flushing seems to be going down a little. No swelling or itchiness or tightness in throat thankfully. That was a little strange however. Hmm. Think I'll talk to my GP before taking it again. My anxiety is no joke at this point! Can't even take valium without panicking. Lol.