In Praise of our Caregivers

WinterSown

Caregivers are as important a role in our lives as our doctors. They help us throughout our dysautonomic day, week, life.  They help us with daily living. Along the way there is a trade-off. Caregivers slowly change how they live to accommodate our needs. What they do and the free time they have slowly ebbs away as they become more involved in our care.  October Dysautonomia Awareness always will find praise for doctors and patients; I think it should also highlight the wonderful men and women, our caregivers, who help us keep going forwards. In honor of this special month I would like to invite you all to share a story or kind word about your caregiver(s). 

Caregiving 101~ On being a caregiver.

Caregiving ~ Recognizing Burnout

Gifts for Caregivers ~ Wonderful list of ideas.

One of the best ways to participate in Dysautonomia Awareness is to let your caretaker know that you are aware of their sacrifices to care for you and that you are thankful.

I would like to thank Hubs who lately has been taking too many days off from work to sit with me in my appointments and tell doctors what he's seeing. He's not there to back me up, he's there to provide what I forget 😞 I've become very sound sensitive so he's got his tv down to extra low; he watches sports like he's at the stadium and can't jump up and hoot and holler when his favorite sports team scores--it sets off my symptoms. He gave up his favorite restaurants for more quiet ones. He's ready to retire but may have to keep working a few more years for the insurance.  That's a big sacrifice when he worked so hard for that retirement. Today is his birthday, I just realized I forgot to tell him Happy Birthday this morning before he left, sigh, he didn't say anything because he knew I forgot.  I've been with this guy for forty years and he still loves me. Thank you Hubs for being there for me so often.

Thank you @WinterSown to remind us of our caretaker's sacrifices. I sometimes get so used to my husband accommodating my limitations that I take him for granted. I will share your post with him and thank him from the bottom of my heart!