odor sensitivity & root canal

gertie

Does anyone have sensitivity to chemical odors? Have you had a root canal?  If so, would you share your experience?  A trip to the dentist for anything is always very traumatic to me because of the smelly glues.  Root canal procedure is even worse than a crown & wearing a mask is not an option.  I've had times I didn't think I could walk out of the dentist office because of reactions to these odors.  Does anyone have any suggestions how to get thru it?  The anxiety is overwhelming.  Thanks you!

Have you tried a small dentist's office? My dentist office has one dentist and 2 assistants. I have never noticed any smells from the smaller office setting. Also try talking to your dentist about what is troubling you. I have super sensitive teeth so mine extra drugs me and cover the teeth around the ones she is working on with gauze so the air from the drill doesn't bother me. Since my POTS diagnosis she now does non epinephrine numbing so it doesn't freak out my heart rate. 

Thank you for reply.  I do use a small one dentist office. The odors that make me sickest are the glues & fillers the dentist is using in my mouth. I have discussed it with dentist & they try to accommodate me but it's impossible to get crowns & root canal without toxic materials.  They would rather sedate me to sleep but I don't recover well from that.  I feel it's a hopeless situation.

5 hours ago, gertie said:

Thank you for reply.  I do use a small one dentist office. The odors that make me sickest are the glues & fillers the dentist is using in my mouth. I have discussed it with dentist & they try to accommodate me but it's impossible to get crowns & root canal without toxic materials.  They would rather sedate me to sleep but I don't recover well from that.  I feel it's a hopeless situation.

What about just the laughing gas? My friend uses that due to a childhood trauma and she says it makes it a lot better for her.