Curious about 23&me health & genetic tests

ddschool

I have. We have genealogists and geneticists in the family--couldn't not take it, lol.  All it shows is traits or a genetic predisposition, it is not a kit for confirming or creating a diagnosis. I don't think it is a waste of money because it lets you know where you are on the spectrum but otherwise, it didn't do a thing for me.

I wrote a long reply to this and just as I was about to hit send my iPod touch died and I lost the message.

Trying to re-create message quickly I have done many tests including 23 and me and full exome testing. If you do 23 and me or ancestry DNA.com what you want to do is download your raw data and run it through the website Promethease. While I find the 23 and me health website useless, there is  a lot of useful info from promethease and it is worth trying. 

In my own case, identified to rare mutations using Exome testing that might be related. One of them was a mutation in a gene that has been linked to mast cell disorder but this particular mutation has not yet been reported as causing issues. The other one affects blood pressure and the  angiotensin system but it is too rare and has never been studied. In terms of common mutations that I was able to get from the regular testing e.g. 23 and me I have a very high chance of atrial fibrillation   so overall no smoking gun for me but it is definitely worth doing it is probably the best use of 100 bucks I can think of.  tread lightly though because with Exome testing  I did on unintentionally stumble on a rare mutation that will give me cancer. Rare mutations are very common by the way and everyone will have about a thousand of them in full exome testing, most of which have never been studies. I have been too sick with all this dysautonomia and related to see if i can prevent the cancer 

overall am a fan of knowledge so no regrets that i tested