proper fainting techniques

Pistol

I recently was approached by someone who was recently diagnosed with POTS and had several fainting spells at work. I used to pass out all of the time at work so this person asked me for advice on how to faint without injuring herself. Here is what I have learned over the years:

first of all - listen to your body. When the symptoms come don't try to leave the area ( I used to try to find a bathroom to faint in private but never made it ) but do try to sit down. 

If no place to sit - head for a wall and lean against it. I many times ended up sliding down the wall onto the floor without hitting my head anywhere. 

Stoop and put your head between you knees - this will stop the pooling of blood as well as aide in bringing circulation to your head. 

I have often fainted while sitting, too. For that I have found that once the signs come on then I stomp my feet, move my feet from toes to heels. This sometimes has stopped an episode. If not - lie down.

I wear a bracelet that has syncope and POTS as well as other medical info on it. That way if I faint in public I can calm people down when I wake up so they do not call 911 every time. 

I also warn people that I faint easily and that this is nothing serious. That way they are alerted and can at times respond before I fall. 

If any one else has tips to avoid injury from fainting please share!

I have NCS along with Pots and used to faint a lot in the beginning. I agree with you about listening to your body. I learned the hard way this is something you can’t push through, and to take action when I start to feel symptoms coming on. For me the first warning sign is a really nauseous stomach. I try to lie down when I feel this, even if it’s in public. It looks funny but it can help prevent a full episode. 

Good ideas from all! I also pass out a lot, about 2-3 times a day right now which is way better than the 20 times a day I dealt with before. For quite some time I was in denial and resistant to allowing my family to help me do transfers. Of course that didn't end well... Looking back we laugh at it now. Probably the most embarrassing one was when I passed out mid transfer into the car. I banged my head on the wheelchair and then slid half under the car. When I came to my dad was looking down at me and said, "want to change the oil while you're down there?" By the grace of God I didn't sustain any major injuries that time around. We like to laugh about the mishaps I've been in, I guess that's just part of how we process it. 

Probably the best thing I can pass on to those who pass out a lot is to accept, better yet, ask for help when you need it! We also have learned that moving me while unconscious really doesn't end well. Because I don't pass out for long periods my family will wait for me to regain consciousness so moving is safer for everyone involved, and I don't end up with dislocated joints. 

I never go anywhere by myself so have never been in a situation where No one knows what to do. I imagine that would be pretty scary...