Does anyone wear a medical alert bracelet?

Scout

Just curious if anyone has any medical alert bracelets for their dysautonomia? 

I have a heart condition so am wanting to get one for that, but also would like to list some information about my hyperPOTS. I'm just not too sure what terms to use, as I know many medical professionals know very little about autonomic dysfunction, as it is. 

Any suggestions / feedback are most appreciated. 

I wear one from RoadID, it’s for bike riders but you can get more information on one and they have add-on clips of the symbol for medical alert.  I put another add on clip that says see wallet where I have more information. I also wear a necklace that has a big medical alert symbol and says see bracelet and wallet. There are some that are USBs that can carry medical records and others that link to a website where you upload your information but I am reluctant to put my personal medical history onto a commercial website.  My bracelet says “autonomic dysfunction” and “ANS POTS, OH, tachy” plus DNR, two ICEs and allergies.

I have one for Secondary Adrenal Insufficiency because I need a shot of hydrocortisone if I go into shock or have been in an accident (I have Hypopituitarism from a pituitary tumour).  I have some rubber bands for my wrists, a silver dog tag pendant and bracelet. I got the silver ones off eBay, very well engraved and good quality. 

I don't think it is the best for everyone but I have seen people get certain alerts tattooed on their skin. Like diabetics. It is interesting because if you are unconscious and lots of people forget the medical I'd bracelets. Plus you can't lose part of your skin. Seen a guy with one and he said that his sister is an EMT and when they found a guy unconscious and removed part of his shirt and seen he was diabetic they were able to check his sugar and save his life. I thought it was an interesting idea. 

1 hour ago, StayAtHomeMom said:

I don't think it is the best for everyone but I have seen people get certain alerts tattooed on their skin. Like diabetics. It is interesting because if you are unconscious and lots of people forget the medical I'd bracelets. Plus you can't lose part of your skin. Seen a guy with one and he said that his sister is an EMT and when they found a guy unconscious and removed part of his shirt and seen he was diabetic they were able to check his sugar and save his life. I thought it was an interesting idea. 

I'd be worried about tattooing something just because my doctors like to keep changing what they call all of this!  If I knew they could settle on a name and stick with it then I'd be a lot more confident.  But I've gone through several medical alert bracelets needing the engraving changed when they come up with different names/diagnoses for the same problem.

With my medical alert bracelets, I did often find that people didn't know they were actually medical alert (maybe the symbol was too small) and those that did didn't realize that they needed to turn over the medallion to see the engraving on the back.  So it wasn't as successful as I'd hoped except that they did sometimes tell the ambulance crew that I had a bracelet.  Mine usually indicated that I had a card in my wallet with more info.  I now have most of the info on the lock screen of my iPhone thanks to an excellent ICE app.

10 minutes ago, Mama Sarah said:

I'd be worried about tattooing something just because my doctors like to keep changing what they call all of this!  If I knew they could settle on a name and stick with it then I'd be a lot more confident.  But I've gone through several medical alert bracelets needing the engraving changed when they come up with different names/diagnoses for the same problem.

That is why I don't think I would ever get it done. But still and interesting idea. 

Guest ANCY

I am on my 4th in 6 years. I have my name,

syncope: because most EMT will treat with fluids which is what i need but maybe not know what dysautonomia or POTS is. Loss of consciousness or syncope would be the most likely culprit if I was incapacitated and needing help so I have that on the front. 

Pacemaker: next for obvious reasons... In a scenario where it stopped working it would at least give a clue in what to look for and also so they know it's not a defibrillator.

Port & Feeding tube: so that they are aware of their existence and use caution around them. 

I also have a temporary silicone bracelet that says blood thinner. My hematologist is not sure yet how long I'll be on it but said maybe indefinitely. When he tells me for sure I'll get it engraved lol! 

Ive used a couple diffrent kind and would have to say that the band with blood thinner has definitely been the most effective in getting medical personnel's attemtion without prompting. EMT's do seem to look for them more so than others but still could see them overlooking something that looks like normal jewelry. If I get a fancy one I make sure that it has the medical symbol on it. 

One nice thing is that if you do your research they are available in many diffrent forms and price points. I've spent as little as $7 up to $45 for a fancy one.

6 hours ago, Lily said:

I asked my doctor about this, and he said that there is nothing an ER would do differently if I had one or not, so I don't need one.

Any meds that would cause an adrenaline surge could be dangerous. Or I imagine if you take meds that up your blood pressure and they try to lower it. Being unconscious and if they have no medical record of you in their system they treat you "normal" and I don't think anyone on here would have a normal reaction to most things they would do if you were unconscious. 

You can keep a record of your meds and diagnosis in your purse and wear a medical alert bracelet that indicates that you have important information in your purse.   

I buy a bracelet that has a compartment in it that you can put a tiny sheet of paper in.  I put my name and emergency contacts, my medial conditions, my meds, my doctor and my allergies in tiny print on a piece of paper.  They have some bracelets with a medical symbol on them and others with just ID for people who want to have ID on them or their kids. I have included a link below.  I am not affiliated with the company, I am just including the link because it is the one I use and it is reasonably priced and you can change your info as often as you like.  I cover my info in clear packing tape so it is water protected.  I buy new ones every so often because I lose mine or I get paint on it or something. 

I am paranoid that if I was to have a medical crisis I might not have my purse with me, or my purse would not be near me or by the time it takes the medical people find my info in it, it will be too late.  I find wearing it gives me a sense of security. 

http://www.idonme.com/

1 hour ago, Jan said:

I am paranoid that if I was to have a medical crisis I might not have my purse with me, or my purse would not be near me or by the time it takes the medical people find my info in it, it will be too late. 

What is the golden rule? Something like it takes at least 10 minutes to find something in a woman's purse? 😂 

I like the idea better with the compartment so you can change the info in it. And the clear tape to waterproof it is genius. 

On 7/6/2018 at 11:31 AM, StayAtHomeMom said:

Any meds that would cause an adrenaline surge could be dangerous. Or I imagine if you take meds that up your blood pressure and they try to lower it. Being unconscious and if they have no medical record of you in their system they treat you "normal" and I don't think anyone on here would have a normal reaction to most things they would do if you were unconscious. 

@StayAtHomeMom Exactly, well said. This is precisely why I think it might be important to have the medical alert bracelet: to avoid potential medications that may cause an adrenal surge, unless, of course, it is absolutely needed (say in a case of anaphylaxis) and required an epi-pen or what not (hopefully that never happens!)

Thank you all so much for the feedback. It has been very helpful. I've decided on getting a silicone bracelet which has some brief information, and also prompts medical staff to see my wallet, where there is a card with more details.

I am thinking it will be best to write "Dysautonomia / POTS" on the actual bracelet, or perhaps "autonomic dysfunction"? Tricky knowing which terms are better, and more widely known, in the medical community. 

@Scout I myself have thought about writing :dysautonomia/POTS" on it. That way they get alerted and if they do not know what it is then they have to find out before they give you something. Also - alerting them of info in your purse ( which we mostly always carry when out and about ) will enable them to take the few seconds it takes to read up on your needs. 

2 hours ago, Scout said:

I am thinking it will be best to write "Dysautonomia / POTS" on the actual bracelet, or perhaps "autonomic dysfunction"? Tricky knowing which terms are better, and more widely known, in the medical community

Maybe get with your local hospital and ask the staff. Maybe they would have the best idea. 

I have a med alert sport bracelet.  I got it from MedID’s.  It’s relatively inexpensive.  It has my name, my primary diagnosis which would be pertinent to medical personnel in an emergency, and my doctors name and number.  Plus see other side with my wife’s name and number.  Thankfully, I’ve never had to use it.  I asked my brother in law what to put on it.  He’s an EMT.  I also have all my medical info in the emergency app on my iPhone.  

@Scout I just ordered mine from MedID online. It will say : POTS, Syncope, Seizures and give IV fluids on the front and my PCP's name, phone number, the name of my ER and wallet info on the back.