Nueropathy Flare Up and New Carpet? Help

art3

We flooded in Harvey. For 20 years we had carpet in the family room and hall-then Harvey came. 10 months later-last week (June 9)- we decided to put in carpet again in those 2 area. In fact the type is very similar. I do have mild nephropathy in my feet-but it usually doesnt bother me much. BUT BIG problem- my feet burn like mad whenever I walk on this new carpet--and now it rages even more.  And  Idk what is going on-its a nightmare. My UT neurologist even called me about it-she wonders-doesnt think nephropathy would have blown up so much without a change going on. Im plain despondent! Any idea?

• 2 weeks later...

I have what sounds like something similar, we finally figured out that I am allergic/sensitive to the material or the gases given off of a lot of new materials especially if they are synthetic. Hope you figure out what is happening/causing this issue.

Floods are horrible, life altering events and I am very sorry you and your family had to go through that. They bring chaos, filth and disease. I too am a flood survivor. You may have to see an allergist. Certainly do call the carpet company and let them know you are having a reaction. Ask them for a  web link or a printed list of the products used in making the carpet, the padding and any glues. You can bring this to an allergist and they shall work to knock down your reactions. I am hoping this is temporary for you--perhaps the instillation process brought up mildew spores that were in the flooring and mildew is the irritant and/or the new carpet may only need a steam cleaning to remove some of the chems left during the manufacturing process. I hope you feel better soon.

• 1 month later...

Any updates on this? Whilst I don't have carpet, I get this reaction to some sneakers. Happened for first time about a year ago and know is happening again with another pair. Both of them had in common a strange newfangled stretchy knit fabric. Get same effects even if wear socks. Plus for the first pair, I let it off gas for at least 3 months- then tried it on and same thing.

What happens is my feet start burning like crazy. The ones yesterday i tried on are still burning today. I can't tell if it is red or not since not sure what bottom of my feel usually look like. Plus feet have a subjective sense of heat.

Seems quite strange that allergic reaction would give neuropathy type symptoms, doesn't it? anyone know how that can be an allergic reaction?