Birth Control Pills to help with low BP?

Sam81

Guest KiminOrlando

Yes. It helped me work for many years longer than I would otherwise have been able. My doctor completely took away my cycle to take away the hormonal fluctuations. Before we did this, I would miss work at least 3 days once a month because I was unable to stand up and stay conscious. 

I did much worse on BC pills, I actually think the pill (Yaz) may have partly triggered my POTS.. it had a diuretic in it, which I didn't know at the time.  I felt much worse on the pill and also during both of my pregnancies (in the 3rd trimesters, my POTS was horrible).  So, there may be a hormonal component for me and maybe for others as well.  Some may not have the same reaction, but just be aware that it could happen.  

Yes.  Birth control helps with expanding blood volume and also helps if you have crashed around the time of your period, which many of us do.  However, there are other drugs which are more effective in raising BP, including SSRIs, florinef and midodrine.  You could also wear compression hose on days when your BP is low.