Feeling feverish?

I'm a man who has been diagnosed with dysautonomia years ago. Orthostatic hypotension and all the general symptoms we all suffer from. I have this symptom that has come and gone over the years with no explanation. It stikes me every few months. Symptom: I feel hot, internally. Very feverish, but I run a normal a completely normal tempature. These episodes are very real, in fact I often break into a light sweat. Anytime I become feverish it sets on suddenly and lasts a few days or a week or two. I have a few moments where I feel decent and then I feel a surge of warmth and beging to lightly sweat. Nothing heavy, but very uncomfortable. It's often how I imagine women feel with hot flashes. Even my breath feels hot, my throat feels hot, my entire head feels hot to me, but to everyone else it feels normal. I'm having a flare-up of it, only this time I generally feel unwell. I'm not sick. Just.. out of it. But, my main concern is the feverish feelings inside that last for days, weeks. I don't even feel like getting out of bed. Let me know what you guys think.

(Also, for the record, I have freaky blood pressure and pulse. Not from standing, but in general. Some of you will call me a liar, but I've startled physcians and nurses when getting my BP taken in the office or hospital, because at times it runs 50's over 30's and im asymptomatic. They were skeptical that it would be that low and often another staff memeber took my blood pressure with a different cuff and got the same results. Regardless of wether I was laying or sitting up. I've had a couple hospital stays in which nurses came bolting in my room every hour because my blood pressure would drop into the 50's even upper 40's over 20's. They always thought it was a false reading so they would do the manual cuff and get the same reading. Freaks me out. But, back to the fever...)

I don't get the symptoms you're speaking of, other than the low bp part. I've been asymptomatic with very low bp (diastolic wouldn't register, so I only had a systolic over zero), however, I get very symptomatic when my diastolic and systolic are very close together...like 110/100. I also have high bp too. I've freaked out my fair share of doctors and nurses too :), Like the time my bp was 30 over 0 and was still standing and talking to the doctor. The nurse thought her cuff was broken, so she ran to find a doctor, who took my bp, and, like you, came up with the same reading. Welcome to the world of POTS :( wacky bp required.

The feverish feeling--not sure I'd describe myself as feeling that way. I often complain of being hot, despite the ambient temp being fine and my body temp fine.

The bp issues certainly could fit the dysautonomia dx; as for the feverish feeling, I suppose it's possible. However, I'm going to give you my familiar refrain that while it could fit dysautonomia, one should not assume all symptoms actually ARE dysautonomia. Symptoms you aren't sure about should be investigated by your doctor(s).

Nina

Wow.. I had 30something/0 too! They said it wouldn't register. Two nurses and one doctor got the same reading. That was just a few weeks ago. I guess there is no danger in running pressure that low? What about our organs? They seemed to be OK with it.. but.. that was my lowest asymptomatic reading up to that point.

I don't know if I'd say there's no danger--that's for a doctor to decide. However, both high and low bp are associated with an increased stroke risk.

Nina

I took an Aleve (fever reducer) earlier and feel better. I feel like I'm running fever, fever medications reduce symptoms, but I'm not registering a fever. So.

EDIT: It's 5 AM. I am feeling very feverish. Walking out of my warm bedroom into the cooler house is a shock.. I'm very sensitive to the tempature change. I even feel a little achy. I was convinced that I am sick, so I took my tempature. 98.7. No fever. This is strange. I know the advice you're going to give me: Go to a doctor. I should probably take it. But I was offered a great deal on a truck and have to drive 350 miles to get it (700 round trip) because of the offer expires today.. so.. I'll be back later tonight.

On the blood pressure: Interesting. I run my lowest blood pressure while sleeping. When woken from sleep during these episodes I'm often weak and semi-alert, and a little spacey. It rises once I really stir and get myself going. I'm not sure if it's normal for blood pressure to run 30/0 during sleep or even when I've been awake. I should probably start seeing a doctor for this condition. I saw one in the past when I would faint upon standing (constantly). Tilt table test diagnosed me. DX: Dysautonomia/POTS. I looked up dysautonomia and learned that many of the other general symptoms associated with the disease is what I've suffered from my entire life. I even searched this forum and found posts from last year in which people complained of feeling hot and feverish at times. The more I've read about dysautonomia, the more I believe there is more to this condition than meets the eye. I appreciate the replies. Take care.

Have you ever had blood drawn to measure your sed rate (sedimentation rate)? This has something to do with how fast your red blood cells are breaking down or something like that. A high sed rate can make you feel hot because you have a high level of inflammation in your body. High sed rates can be associated with autoimmune diseases.

Other than that, I can tell you I feel hot at times and have had my sed rate and temp checked, and they are normal. So I have no explanation but wanted to say "me too."

Amy

I feel feverish often, usually late afternoon. Sometimes my body gets uncontrollably hot if I'm in a hot room. Was just in ER for 2 days and the noted that I while had a slightly elevated temp (I was in for shortness of breath and muscle weakness probably not from dysautonomia). My hands and feet were cold. They at least found me interesting in that respect. No luck in dealing with the breathing and weakness.

Dear Let it Bleed,

Because dysautonomia is the bucket of symptoms and not telling of the exact problem, it could be a number of things causing this. It's always a detective job to figure it out and/or a Herculean job to live with it.

Whatever is causing it, I know it is so frustrating to have my perceived temp to be off. If it is interfering with your sleep, make sure your doc knows because the more sleep you lose, the weirder your symptoms can get. -Deb

Appreciate the replies everyone. I just got in from Dallas, I drove over 1,000 miles in 24 hours and had very, very little sleep. I couldn't see straight, mentally - I wasn't "all there" but the good news is the feverish symptom mostly resolved. I had a hot flash or two this afternoon but it seems to be clearing, again. I've had my sed. checked, but never during one of those episodes, they happen quite a few times a year and tend to last a week or so. I don't know if I'll ever know what causes it. Thanks again.

let it bleed -

welcome to the forum. i've been away the past few days so am a bit late on responding but had a couple of thoughts.

regarding the temperature, i tend to be cold rather than hot but over the past year have had issues with low-grade temps. one thing we figured out is that my "normal" temperature is lower than the standard 98.7. so...when i have a temp of 98.7 it is actually hot for my system. according to "textbook" a 99.9 means next to nothing but for me it's the equivalent of a high fever as my "normal" is so low. i've heard the same from some others.

regarding the BP, it is normal for one's BP to be lowest at night. not necessarily as low as many of ours get, but lowest none the less. i too have scared many nurses & a few docs running with beeping monitors, readings that won't register, and the like b/c of low BPs.

glad to hear you survived your trek...

:-)melissa

I took this into consideration and it adds up. I have low everything. Blood pressure, blood sugar, pulse, so I figure if it's from a depressed autonomic nervous system overall, why wouldn't my tempature be naturally low? So I took my tempature, now that I'm feeling fine. It's at 96.0, so prehaps my 98.7 tempature that occured while I was feeling "slightly feverish" was legit. Thanks for your input.