carlacat

I have to go to the dentist Thursday..probably will have to have tooth pulled cause they are not doing any more root canals on me. Anyways..any suggestions or advice??

Thanks

Carlacat

PS...Took my dashound to vet to have teeth cleaned and he had to have 16 teeth pulled..and I'm afraid to have one pulled. He was asleep though cause they were also de-nutting him. I always said if I ever have to go on Fear Factor...the dentist would be my biggest fear. LOL

good luck with your appointment!!! I've had LOTS of dental work, and like you, I'm petrified about going to the dentist. I feel bad, because my stepdad is a dentist and I can't go to him...I know him too well and completely freak out in the chair. For those who know me, losing control is NOT something I do easily... it's hard enough to cope with my body who wont play nice with me...let alone my emotions!

Try to think good thoughts, try to imagine yourself in a really peaceful place and most of all, do your best not to clench your arms, hands, body...it only makes the pain more intense. That being said, I still have to think VERY consciously about these things. I still have dental implant that's in it's final phase in the next few months... we'll see how that goes

Hang in there! Nina :)

The last work I had to have done was a two surface filling. I saw that as if I know what that means, but I have no clue. I began to panic when they put the topical ointment on my gums .... it's that feeling of not being in control that I can't stand. I stopped the procedure and spoke with the dentist. I told her I wasn't afraid of needles but I really didn't think I could go through with the meds .... she told me that in her home country (Korea) she always performed dental routines without any pain killer. It was just too expensive. I was shocked to hear this because I didn't think it was possible. So I asked her to tell me more and then asked if she thought I could try this. Her assistant turned pale and said NO the filling is too deep. But the dentist gave her a quick and sharp look that silenced any further objections.

The dentist explained that we could try it, and if the pain was too great, we would stop and take a break. What she did in essense was put the locus of control back in my lap and I think perceived control is a big part of problem.

I can't say that there was no pain .... but the pain was tollerable. She worked quickly and afterwards I felt amazing. No lingering effects of the numbness, no POTS collapse.

Now I'm not saying this would work for an extraction ... each of us are different. But establishing control may be something to consider. What can you do to keep yourself in the driver's seat? How can you negotiate the treatment so that you feel you have choices you can make?

Good luck on Thursday, I'll keep a good thought for you.

EM

Hi Carla, that reminds me of a little inside joke between me and Dan Jacoby--at the last NDRF conference, I was in the Simthsonian's gift shop and found this funny but hiddeous squishy clear balls filled with little rubber brains... I got one for me and one for Dan... and told him that now we both have spares!

:)

Nina

Guest Julia

I get my cavities filled all the time with no local anesthesia. I started this about a year ago. Once in a while i'll get a nerve hit when drilling---but it's so quick.

I really don't have a problem with this at all. I'm more afraid of feeling out of control---then the pain---or any needle. Needles have never bothered me. Sometimes the shot in the butt creeps me out a little---but not that bad.

Julie :0)