Yoga for balance. Inner.

WinterSown

My EP tweaks my drugs, my cardiologist tweaks my life, my neuro works on my perception. The cardiologist is the boss, he has now suggested I start yoga as a means to find balance--not only for my wobbling-trip-anytime body and swinging symptoms, he wants inner harmony for me too. 

We just got a continuing ed flyer from the local school with an eight-night weekly course for Chair Yoga. Participants take the class either seated on a chair or standing behind a chair for support. Class includes breathwork, warm-ups, stretches and poses and conclude with a final relaxation. It's supposed to increase strength and flexibility, improve balance and range of motion. I am supposed to leave feeling peaceful, calm and energized (that's an oxymoron.) Balanced. sigh. 

I think the chair is a benefit, don't know if I would stand or sit but it's better than having to get down and then do a full stand back up from a mat. Has anyone tried Chair Yoga? It seems very passive and not too sweaty. I never heard of it but it may be fine enough for dipping my toe into the yoga pool. 

I have never done chair yoga but I teach chair exercise classes to disabled and mentally disabled clients, it's actually amazing how hard  and how many muscle groups work whilst seated ! I use quite a lot of different equipement to add a challenge and variety. Obviously the chair adds stability and that  sounds a great all round class I hope you give it a go and enjoy it !

I meditate and practice mindfulness it has helped me enormously this last 12 months  to help me deal with a lot of stress that's been going on in my personal life however not always been that easy to do ! 

3 hours ago, dancer65 said:

I have never done chair yoga but I teach chair exercise classes to disabled and mentally disabled clients, it's actually amazing how hard  and how many muscle groups work whilst seated ! I use quite a lot of different equipement to add a challenge and variety. Obviously the chair adds stability and that  sounds a great all round class I hope you give it a go and enjoy it !

I meditate and practice mindfulness it has helped me enormously this last 12 months  to help me deal with a lot of stress that's been going on in my personal life however not always been that easy to do ! 

How lucky you are that you can teach, it's a great way to interact and get out. I know Chair Dancing, it's one of the first exercise videos I bought eons ago. I remember how many muscles it awoke. Wow. ow. I've been doing PT for over a year so I think I'm fit enough for it but I get sudden bradycardia, I think the chair is a good idea. 

This past weekend Hubs and I saw Shen Yun Dance Theater in Manhattan. It was extraordinary show, they spoke about Falun Dafa which they practice--there was even dances about it. This seems like a reasonable ideology with much matching my neurotherapy, and they have exercises to begin too. Mind and body.  They have five exercises here which look very simple, not too much exertion:
http://en.falundafa.org/eng/html/flg2016/flg2016_4.htm

Thanks for sharing the link interesting ! Ilove seeing live performances so inspiring, lucky you !  

I am a great believer in body mind connection . I mainly teach classical ballet to kids and adults .I have to rest and  have had to adapt my teaching approach to keep running my school. I think it keeps me sane and the slow controled movement keeps me strong and centers me mentally and physically. My cardiologist thinks the ballet made my skeletal pump strong so I didnt faint as much as I should with my BP readings. It is much more stable now with midrodine and I very slowly being able to demonstrate more.

My syncope nurse recommended Autogenic breathing technique recently. She had just attended a conference and was told many POTS patients have seen improvements since practising this . I have only just started this but I have to say already I haven't got to the end of the first practice because I fall asleep . Great as I do get insomnia 

Please let me know how session went if you attend 

4 hours ago, dancer65 said:

Thanks for sharing the link interesting ! Ilove seeing live performances so inspiring, lucky you !  

I am a great believer in body mind connection . I mainly teach classical ballet to kids and adults .I have to rest and  have had to adapt my teaching approach to keep running my school. I think it keeps me sane and the slow controled movement keeps me strong and centers me mentally and physically. My cardiologist thinks the ballet made my skeletal pump strong so I didnt faint as much as I should with my BP readings. It is much more stable now with midrodine and I very slowly being able to demonstrate more.

My syncope nurse recommended Autogenic breathing technique recently. She had just attended a conference and was told many POTS patients have seen improvements since practising this . I have only just started this but I have to say already I haven't got to the end of the first practice because I fall asleep . Great as I do get insomnia 

Please let me know how session went if you attend 

I will let you know. The sign up is next month but the classes don't start until March 19. The show was our Christmas show, we don't exchange gifts anymore we get tickets and go see something instead. It takes some planning but we are able to manage with apps.

I get Drop Attacks, which is fainting while staying conscious (who knew!) but I don't often drop. I am strong enough or I subliminally pick up the pre-signals and I can steady and hold on--that's some of the PT I do. I will look into autogenic breathing, I lost my sleep cycle three years ago. I look like a raccoon today.