POTS vs NCS and OH

vepa

I posted awhile back about having trouble getting a diagnosis. I recently finally saw a cardiologist who was willing to do the stand-test and he diagnosed me with NCS and Orthostatic Hypotension. During the test, my heart rate jumped from 80 lying down to 130 sitting and 140 standing, which I thought met the criteria for POTS. But he explained that my blood pressure dropped by more than 20 points and they only diagnosed POTS if the blood pressure remains the same, because a drop in blood pressure always leads to an increased heart rate. 

I guess I'm wondering if that's accurate. It seems to conflict with my limited understanding via Google. I'd like to know if anyone was diagnosed with POTS with similar test results. And I'm also curious as to whether or not the diagnosis matters. It seems the treatment is the same (right now he wants me drinking 2l of water and on 3-5g of salt a day, no meds). Frankly, I'm grateful to have any diagnosis at all with how much I've had to fight doctors to get one, but should I still be pursuing a POTS diagnosis?  Has anyone run into problems because they were misdiagnosed?

There are different opinions on this, but the general diagnosis of dysautonomia is a very helpful start.  Many of the treatments of these conditions overlap. When I got sick I kept a diary of my HR and BP for several months.  If you read  the DINET main page, with this info you will get a better sense of which category you fall into and which meds might help your specific issues.  If you have high BP you might need a med which lowers (and doesn't raise!) BP, etc. :)