Getting a Rollator/walker

LastUnicornLady

Hey, everyone. I have been struggling a lot with fatigue and balance issues lately, and I'm starting to look into getting a rollator/walker. I've been using a cane, but I've had to use it significantly more frequently, and it's just not enough. I causes more pain in my hand and shoulder, and I have to juggle carrying anything in the other hand. I'm a college student, so I have to lug a backpack around quite a bit. Do you guys have any suggestions on looking to find an affordable rollator/walker? Also, do you of you use one, and does it help with leg fatigue/weakness?

Thank you!

Guest KiminOrlando

Try some thrift stores. People don't usually keep grandma's walker. Also google used medical equipment near you. You can try one out on the cheap before you decide to invest in one, if you want. I doubt new ones are very expensive though. Not sure, but maybe your insurance would cover a new one.

I was thinking about it myself. I recently had to hang up my keys and now walk to the corner supermarket. They have a two layer cart which is about the size of a rollator. I felt so well balanced while I was pushing it, I could also lean on it and it was stable. My MIL, who is now 90, had hip surgery last year. She is able now to use a rollator and get out of her wheel chair. In the beginning she had to wear gloves because she was not used to the gripping, her palms were chafing as her skin is very thin, it is age related. She wore lined golf gloves and the chafing stopped, she only needed them a few weeks until she was used to using the rollator. I would check online or in the local papers for garage sale listings, they often list medical equipment--If you see one get there early. Check the Salvation Army or other thrift stores. I checked Amazon, rollators range in price but the inexpensive ones are four stars. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank?keywords=rollators&fst=p90x%3A1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Arollators&qid=1505258534&sort=price-asc-rank

I have two walkers, one the typical gray front wheeled walker and the other a rollator. Insurance purchased the Grey one for me and I got the other off of Craigslist. The Grey one was good for me when I needed something with in home PT to practice standing g to sitting and sitting to standing exercises as well as standing in place.  I did not like when I walked with it on uneven ground it would catch, because of the small wheels, and it wouod jerk and I'd loose my balance. My rollator worked much better for me with walking once I adjusted to its ease of movment and learning to use the brakes appropriately. It also opened more opurtunities for me to walk s I had a seat to sit down if I felt presyncope coming on. Some varieties also have baskets under the seat which could hold a back pack or purse, or other small to medium item. Unfortunately I  have yet to progress out of my wheelchair to independently walking with the walker... still hopeful in the future though.

We have a website for our neighborhood called Nextdoor.  A few days before my daughter's surgery, my dad put a plea out to the neighborhood to see if anyone had a rollater walker for sale.  Within a half hour there were three people offering to drop theirs off for free!  They were PTs and they said when we were done with it, just pay it forward.  My daughter is 19 and she brought it to Stanford with her and decked out the basket with signs that read #Dysautonomia, #Its not all in my head, and #Ehlers Danlos Syndrome!