How do you cope with symptoms when out of town/vacation

B-leave

My family takes vacations.  I travel pretty well - I don't have symptoms aggravated by riding in a car or flying.  I'm limited on how much I can drive, and sometimes I don't feel safe driving. 

I struggle when I have to operate on someone else's schedule!  I avoid large facilities, outdoor venues without fast escape routes from sun, heat, cold, or walking.  If hubby isn't driving, I allow A LOT of extra time, just in case I need to rest.  I avoid meeting friends/family at a destination.  I avoid going places in groups of people where I can't control the pace - like a walking tour.  I don't book anything that's not refundable.

If you can explain the vacationy situations that you have difficulty, I'm sure you'll get many responses with ideas for coping.

My biggest coping skill for vacations is to take frequent breaks. Schedule in down time between activities, and make sure everyone in your party understands that if they want go do something back to back you may not be able to participate. 

If you're out doing museums, zoos, and other tourist attractions, make use of any wheelchairs or motorized scooters they may have available. Make sure you have water on you at all times, and a small snack if hunger/salt is also an issue for you.

Hope this is helpful information.

I get through vacations by not flying - my husband drives me all over (since I can no longer drive and get violently ill on planes).  I make sure to wear compression hosiery and bring a ton of snacks.  When I'm in the car I put my feet up on the dashboard once in a while.  I find that even though I am most symptomatic and have lower blood pressure in the morning, once I get my bp up and get going, I function better than at the end of the day so I schedule important things early in the day when it isn't as hot out and lines aren't that long (waiting on lines provokes the most symptoms).  If I take my kids to an amusement park or a concert, I make sure there's a place I can sit down.  When it is a place I'm not familiar with or a walking tour or museum, I bring along a seat cane to sit on if need be (I find that helps me more than sitting on the ground).  I save the evenings for low key things like hanging around the pool.

Alot of great ideas!! I try to get there a day early to recover from the travel and schedule breaks as well.  And depending on the weather and temp, I make short trips to see things but avoid crowds. And I too have lots of water, and a snack and have a wheelchair with me in case it is needed. And I also spend an additional day resting once I am back home.

Debbie