Dysautonomia and Alcohol?

I'm sorry if this topic has been posted numerous times before. I've been diagnosed with fairly moderate POTS and I have had many varying reactions to alcohol in my life, particularly as far as hangovers are concerned. I have been so sick I could barely walk, and I have also been completely fine the next day after drinking. I don't drink a lot, and certainly not regularly, as I know hydration is an important aspect of treatment for dysautonomia. But I am young and sometimes I would like to go out for drinks and what not. Is there any solution anyone has found that wards off hangovers, especially if they're worse than they should be? Should I just avoid alcohol at all costs? Any life experience from other POTS-havers would help a ton. Thanks. :)

Hi Meghan, Welcome to the forum! 

I'd choose a drink that re-hydrates you and drink a bottle of water in between. Regarding your question about avoiding alcohol -- that depends on how well you tolerate it, it looks like you have mixed reactions. I'd suggest steering clear from it if you have an event or commitment the following day, or if you aren't feeling well. Do you have problems with your blood pressure? Alcohol dilates (opens up) blood vessels which can lower your pressure. Are you taking any medications that can interact? I have a friend with POTS and she drinks a beer because that helps her POTS symptoms,  presumably due to alcohol being a depressant and calming down cns activity, until dehydration kicks in.  Here is the pots - what to avoid list,  alcohol is listed here.  There are some great past threads on this -- if you use the search feature in the above corner you can find many topics on this subject and read other member's experiences. All the best to you! Sarah

Hello! I personally have not had adverse reactions to things like beer and wine, but I do have to be more careful when it comes to hard liquor, like Rum, Tequila, or Vodka, which tend to make me more tachy... though sometimes that just comes down to mixers.  I tend to stay away from soda with alcohol because the large amount of sugar seems to be what makes me feel bad the next day.  My main thing is that I have to make sure I'm extra hydrating whenever consuming alcohol and also it helps me to always eat with it.  I know some can't tolerate it at all, while others see temporary improvement.  I don't drink if I've been symptomatic at all though.  I think it all comes down to the individual.  Moderation is definitely key and learning your limitations for your body.  Good luck! <3

I can only handle half a beer anymore (I never got affected by any type of alcohol before, or got hung over, no matter how much I drank before, hard liquor, etc.). Oddly, I can't drink any wine at all. I have tried a literal SIP and still had terrible pounding tachycardia and profound overheated feeling later on. That's what happens if I drink even one whole beer. It's sad because I love craft beer and now I can only share -one- with my husband.... no wine tastings either...

I feel better when I drink alcohol (I think it seems to calm everything down). I have to be careful because if I overdo it I am super tachy the next day and barely able to get out of bed, but if I remember to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and take it easy it's usually ok.  I drink Truly sparkling water because it's low carb and gluten free.