Petechiae?

calypso

Does anyone here have problems with petechiae -- they are pinpoint-like little purple bruises that form in clusters?

I flew home from visiting my mom yesterday, and I know I didn't have these in the morning before I left. But when I went to put on my pajamas last night, I saw that I had several two- to three-inch clusters of these.

I do take baby aspirin, and I do bruise easily, but these are new. Any ideas? I vaguely remember someone here having these. Just want to know if I should be concerned about them.

Amy

I found this on the internet. Hope it helps!

Petechiae's most common cause (in a person with a connective tissue disease) is low-platelets. Other possible causes include: allergic reactions, certain infections, some neoplastic conditions, and certain anemias. A CBC (complete blood count), which is a common *routine* test, will show the platelet count.

...this particular person had written in who has lupus.

Sounds like there are a variety of causes though. Even though you have been on aspirin, this could be a complication developed over time from that or it could be something totally different.

I agree with Ernie...you probably have to get this checked by a Dr. but it doesn't mean it's anything serious; although it could be which is why you need to have it checked.

Hi Amy -

I agree that it's something to get checked out...not emergent but worth bringing up with a doc. From personal experience though, they may not even be true petechiae. I had what multiple docs were certain were petechiae a few months ago...looked like textbook...and upon biopsy they ended up being really tiny hive-type rashes, so you never know. I'd been having various weird rashes since the fall with the longest break being over the past two weeks, perhaps as I've been newly taking cortef (hydrocortisone)...not with rash eleviation as the objective but I'm still quite happy. FYI, when the spots were really tiny they didn't itch....

Let us know how things turn out...

:-)melissa

Amy, I would certainly get this checked out. My son had these for several years-from aspirin, heat and flying. They ran all sorts of tests on him, and found no underlying cause. Also a friend of mine's son had the same thing and also found nothing wrong. But-many things can cause them and should be seen by a doctor. Linda

Thanks, everyone ... I asked my sister (who's a family practitioner) and she said if there's only a couple clusters and they came on after flying -- which they did, because I flew to see my mom over the weekend -- that they're probably related to the pressure and sitting. She said to watch them and if I get more clusters of them, to make an appt. Another weird thing I've never had before being chronically ill ...

Amy