Psych. Evaluation Ordered..

Well..I'm trying to file for disability..they've ordered me a Psych. evaluation due to several references in my file to "anxiety". It took 15 mths. for me to be properly dx. with POTS and several docs. mentioned anxiety when I first became ill..so I guess I have to go to prove that I don't have an anxiety issue? :blink:

I was upset at first..but I guess it's something that needs to be done..I'm just nervous because I have no idea of what to expect with this evaluation. I'm worried I'll be having a "bad day" and this doc. won't know the difference b/w ANS problems and psych. issues.

If anyone has any experience with this and doesn't mind sharing please let me know what I'm walking into..I mean will I be looking at ink blots..filling out questioneers..or just talking? It's kind of ironic b/c I've been thinking of going to a psychologist to address having a "chronic illness"..the doc. I was contemplating going to happens to be the one doing this evaluation. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give!!

hi eagle -

i don't have any wisdom re: the actual eval, but just wanted to through out the thought that it's not necessarily a bad thing to be found with some illness-related anxiety...based on all the reading i've been doing on SSDI (i just had to apply myself), it could even help your case. again, one never knows how their minds are working, but it's not necessarily an either-or thing. obviously you don't want a finding of anxiety instead of your medical stuff, but having it as a p.s. isn't automatically a bad thing.

hopefully some others can give you further input regarding the eval itself...

good luck & let us know how it goes...do you know when it is yet?

:-)melissa

Don't let the psych eval. bother you- it is a necessary evil. Most mental health professionals are much more compassionate toward chronic illness than medical doctors. State the truth- be honest about what has been going on in your life and it is likely the mental health professional will not find you "mentally ill" but possibly having anxiety as the result of dealing with health issues. It actually can be an asset to have the mental health professional see you and validate that no you are not crazy and whatever is going on does appear to be organic and may even have psychological components but is not "all in your head". The evaluation will most likely be a brief discussion between the two of you- probably no significant personality testing unless the professional has concerns. Just relax and be truthful.

Carmen

I agree! I've gone through this process before and it was okay; the psychologist was very compassionate.

If you are worried about it you can just tell the Dr that you had been misdiagnosed initially as having anxiety problems. Explain, if this is true for you, that you do experience some anxiety however, it is becuase of your brain/autonomic nervous system not working properly and that the anxiety is secondary to your physical condition.

Good luck and keep us posted!

You know what, I once went to a psych eval where I was all ready to be defensive... but the funny thing was, that as folks suggested here, I was just myself.

The appointment ended with the psych saying to me that I had some depression, but it was a result of being physically ill for so long...and that was BEFORE I had a formal diagnosis. So, the psych believed me before even I did!!! How about that?

Take it as it comes. Be yourself, be honest, and if it's really not going well, you can always leave.

Nina

My psych eval went very well. I was a little defensive at first, but he was very kind. I cried and was just very honest with him. I admitted I was very depressed and sad about the turn my life had taken and we just chatted. It was very easy, just be honest. He was far more sympathetic than I was led to believe they are. Good luck, morgan

I've had similar experiences in hospital settings...where psychologists or psychiatrists were called in for consults & ended up telling the docs that I was totally fine...one told me that I was in better shape mentally than he'd be in my position....

So they're not bad...

:-)melissa