Fundraising idea

Another idea--Michelle--I am not sure how to join any fundraising group that might be or will be established so I am throwing out this idea.

Recently my father-in-law passed away. A cousin who belongs to the Fragile X Group made a contribution to the Fragile X Group and the group in turn sent me a letter noting that a contribution had been made in memory of my father-in-law.

Perhaps DINET might consider such a project. With the cost of greeting cards so high, our money might be better spent making a contribution to a good cause--i.e., DINET==rather than enrich the pockets of big card companies. We could set a minimum contribution.

Any reaction???

We do send letters to people notifying them when a donation is made in their honor. Maybe I should make that better known on the website....

Michelle

Michelle, I am thinking much smaller donations. For example, in the Jewish religion, there is something called a mitzvah card. When someone for example is ill, we would send a mitzvah card (about $3.00) which would come from a charity. It takes someone willing to develop and print out letters going out to someone notifying them that a contribution has been made in, for example, their honor (birthday, graduation, anniversary, etc) or with wishes for a speedy recovery or in memory of a beloved family member or friend.

I know I would rather make a contribution to, for example, Alzheimer's Association than buy a greeting card. However, if there was a formal system set up for DINET, that's where my money would be going.

I don't think that this is truly a difficult program to put in place. It can be effective even if the audience is not that large. The Fragile X Foundation had a nice announcement prepared on a word processor that went to the person when someone else donated money in memory of (could have been on the occasion of, etc).

Nina and Emily--help me out here in explaining Mitzvah cards!

Michelle et al -

more awareness never hurts in terms of donation recognition, etc, but perhaps it's us as members/participants who should take it on too, ya know? for instance many of us may have family members or friends who would be more than happy to contribute & who feel bummed that they can't do more for us when we're sick...they may actually be more than willing to donate but have no idea that it's an option...i know this doesn't apply to all, & it's not always an easy thing to initiate/bring up with folks, but i'm just sort of thinking out loud...for myself as well...

Gold et al -

i like the premise of realizing that donations don't have to be big to make a difference. a lot of little donations can make one big donation. i know, my math skills are astounding:-) i agree that the sort of thing you mentioned doesn't take nearly the effort of some other projects but it still does take a lot...probably more than any of us would realize until embarking upon it. i don't want to squelch the idea b/c i like it but i just wanted to put it out there that especially for a newer/smaller group that does not have the established infrastructure/support of a bigger organization it would still be an undertaking...

and yet, life is an undertaking so i'd say there's no harm in us all keeping the wheels in our minds turning...

:-)melissa

Actually, we're set up to recieve donations via Network for Good...

http://www.dinet.org/how_you_can_help.htm

As for Mitzvah cards--the only analogy I can think of is lighting a candle at church. It's a token reminder of your thoughts for a person to do well, be well, etc.

Nina

nina,

that is great...i didn't realize that i could donate via credit card to DINET...and sometimes i think that the reason i poke on it is b/c it's so much more effort to write a check. pathetic. but, really, in terms of energy conservation adn how much time i am at the comp. anyway, that is great. is that noted somewhere easy for folks to find? the credit card thing...i will try that next time i donate. okay, going to bed for real now....oops. em

The donation link information is on the main page of http://www.dinet.org

you will find it in the far left column, under "help us".

There you will see Volunteer, Advise, Donate.

:blink: Nina

Oh, also, on the DINET masthead (graphic), you will see "donate" in the right corner, and if you click there, it will also take you to the donate page.

Actually Network-for-Good has it set up so that you can donate by credit card, debit card and even online check. And they send me a notification every time someone donates and tallies everything nicely, so if you are going to donate, please do it through Network-for-Good and not the Pay Pal address that was previously posted.

Goldicedance, I'm still not sure I understand the difference between what you are suggesting and what we do. Here is what we do: When a donation is made in someone's honor we send them a letter notifying the person that a donation was made in their honor. We definitely could honor people's birthdays, etc. in this way.

I even think Network for Good has a box where you can write in who your donation is in honor of...

Are you suggesting something different?

Michelle