Checking for auto immune

Hmmm... I'm not entirely sure, but I think they usually look at the ANA in combination with other tests.  For example, I have a positive ANA.  However, since all of my other tests run come back negative, they say I don't have an autoimmune disorder. Hope that helps or that someone who knows more can chime in ?

There are many different tests for autoimmune diseases. ANA is just one of them and it is a "non-specific " test meaning that it indicates autoimmunity but not a specific disease. Some autoimmune diseases have specific autoantibodies that can be detected such as myositis. (Here's an example of this: http://www.myositis.org/learn-about-myositis/diagnosis/antibody-testing)

There are other non-specific tests as well, C reactive protein (CRP) is an example of one. CRP is an inflammatory marker so it is not specific to autoimmunity but is another clue that there may be autoimmune issues if CRP is elevated. It can be elevated for other inflammatory reasons as well. SS-A is another example of a non-specific autoimmunity test. (Here's an explanation of SS-A: http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical%20and%20Interpretive/81360 )

I hope this helps your understanding of the different testing. 

Guest KiminOrlando

Sometimes they also check SED rate to see how much inflammation you have in your body. Some of us have autoimmune diseases with dysautonomia, but not all. My ANA was positive at first but no specific antibody test was positive. Your question is a complicated one. Sometimes the results of these blood tests do not give you clear answers. Hopefully, you will get answers though.