Exercise accountability thread!

Lily

We all know we are supposed to exercise, but actually doing it can be difficult.  

This thread is for posting our workouts, in the hope that doing so will encourage us to suck it up and get it done.    

Any workout is good enough to be posted, no matter how short or long, easy or difficult.  Bedridden people, don't be afraid to post that you did leg lifts for 30 seconds.  High functioning people, don't be afraid to post that you ran 5 miles and then did sprints.

Lets also make sure to congratulate each other for getting it done!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

Nice work Lily!

I did a 60 minute Firm workout yesterday called Firm Strength. It uses ankle weights and my inner thighs are sore today. I'm trying to motivate myself to hop on the treadmill to do some walking but I'm very fatigued. Any minute now . . . 

I just jogged 2 miles. And tilled my small vegatable garden :)

And i have a question: what is your heart rate when exercising? Mine is around 140 when walking but stayed around 190 when jogging today. I'm kind of surprised it was so high because I didn't feel particularly bad...just a bit out of shape.

I used to run marathons before running got too exhausting. This is my first run after months of just walking. I had never monitored my HR before so I have no idea if 190 is normal for me or high or it is just telling me I'm out of shape. I'm 30 so 190 is technically my max HR.

Katy, good job!

I honestly do not know the answer to the HR question. Even before I knew I had POTS, when I could run a 10k at 9 minute miles and walk all over town doing errands and stand all day  and do tough workouts, I huffed and puffed while running. I remember being surprised when I ran a 10k with my sister. I seemed to be in much better shape than she was, but she could chat at that pace, and I could not. Made me go hmmmm. But I've never worn a HR monitor because I'm pretty sure it would just tell me I'm exercising at my max, and that might freak me out/deter me. But now that I'm working on intervals, maybe I should. I'm sure my husband has one around here somewhere. I'll let you know what it is next time I jog. I'm sure it will be high. I don't know if there's any connection, but I've found that ever since weaning off of Zoloft a year ago, I get much more winded when jogging. I haven't been this lean or muscular since being diagnosed with POTS 5 years ago, and yet my ability to run is the lowest it's been since I started exercising 10 years ago.

Today I did three intervals of jogging at a difficult pace (5.8mph) for 3:30 each time, so about a mile of jogging total, and another 1.5 of walking at 4.2mph. 

Shan1212, I have never been able to chat while running either!  Even on long runs of 10+ miles I would huff and puff the entire time. Clearly its not an issue of being in shape...interesting. This also was several years before POTS.

I'll be interested to see what your HR does while exercising. Mine climbed steadily to 190 in the first 3 minutes jogging, so maybe i should try intervals of walking and slow jogging working up to a faster paced run like you do. I wonder if my HR will settle down as i get more in shape. 

Anyway didn't mean to get off topic. Maybe i should start a new thread about this.  But nice work on the interval workout :)

I excused myself from exercise last weekend because I had food poisoning.  Fortunately it was short.

Today I spent about 3 hours in a salt marsh laying out lines of sediment traps and water level sensors.  I am already sore.  It's the balancing, and soft, uncertain footing.  

A little bit of vanity:  part of me is relieved that my college student helpers were as tired as I at the end of the day.

Yesterday I did a video called Maximum Cardio Burn Plus Abs by the Firm. It was a rare video that didn't use dumbbells (only an 8 lb stick), so it kind of messed up my treadmill/weights rotation. So today I did a video called Tough Tape by the Firm that is heavy on weights. I think tomorrow will be a rest day because I have to get the house sorted for the cleaner. 

KayJay,

I'm doing old school Firm workouts from the 80s and 90s. They're longer and slower without so much bopping up and down. Weights intensive but you can modify. 

ETA: I spent some time on the website totalfitnessdvds.com checking out different titles. You can watch a clip of the videos and it tells you what equipment is required. 

Today I jogged for 5 minutes and walked for 25.  2.25 miles total.

Keep up the good work everyone! Lily that sounds like a tough albeit nontraditional workout! Shan1212 are the videos you do also cardio or more strength training? 

The last 2 days i have walked. 20 minutes Wednesday, HR about 120. Yesterday 40 minutes total, average HR 135. I am trying to walk every day for 20 min (or more), getting my heart rate up above standing hr (100 to 110).

Today I did a 45 minute Firm workout with weights called Maximum Body Shaping. I upped my weights a bit and think I'm getting stronger.

We raised the head of our bed a tiny bit (just a single brick on each end) and I instantly gained like 3 pounds of water weight . . . so I guess it works? I have been eating low(er) carb so I had not been carrying water weight.

We are at our mountain place for the weekend. I keep a set of 3 and 5 lb Dumbbells (hold them together to heavy up) and some workout DVDs here. Saturday I did a 45 minute cardio workout with light weights (The Firm Ultimate Fat Burning Workout). Yesterday we did a 2 mile hike. I was fine with a double dose of Midodrine but was noticeably more winded than everyone else, including my 4 year old. Going uphill always gets me out of breath. Today I did a 45 minute weights/cardio workout out (The Firm Total Body Time Crunch).

Keep on keepin' on, everyone!

Today I did 3 miles on the treadmill, mostly walking. I tried to do some moderate jogging intervals but I was too drained on the first one so I stuck with walking for the rest. I'm not sure if I should push myself . . . I think not. Experience has shown me that it's not worth it. But I also don't want to lose the ability to jog because surely that will translate into decreased cardiovascular fitness. Hmmm. 

On to fight another day!

Wednesday - rest day

Thursday - workout called "Strong Bear" with Tracie Long (ouch!)

Today - 2.5 miles on treadmill, did spurts of running for 3.5 minutes x 3, walked the rest

I had a body composition analysis done this week and I've gained 1.1 pounds of muscle and gone down 2% in body fat in 5 weeks!

Don't mean to get off topic, but my overall symptoms are much improved since I changed my diet and began working out harder about 5 weeks ago. I am doing low carb/paleo for breakfast and lunch and trying to workout 5-6x per week. I was doing easier 30 minute workout videos, and now I'm doing harder 50 minute ones, and using heavier weights whenever I can. I believe my POTS is a problem with the heart pumping (I have mitral valve prolapse) and not with volume (I don't have pooling), though I do hydrate like crazy and take Florinef. But the only drug that I notice helps is Midodrine.

But of course, nothing is ever a cure-all, is it? I am a lot more functional. I have attended events in the evening where there was a lot of standing in the heat and humidity and have been fine. I have had fewer episodes. But I'm still so gosh darn tired all the time. I am researching adrenal fatigue. I know it's debatable whether it's even a thing, but it sounds so much like what I have with my hyper POTS.

I'm wondering if I should look into going full-on Paleo.