Exercise accountability thread!

Lily

Today I jogged a mile at 5.3mph (HR was 157-169 during this time, so it was obviously exhausting), then I walked another 2 miles anywhere between 3.8 and 4.3mph. My average HR was 144. I'm new to tracking my HR. I guess there are no surprises there. I felt best when it was in the 130s or low 140s. 

My 4 year old is off from school and with me all day now. I decided (stupidly) that we needed to slide a brick under the middle leg of our king size bed (my husband and I put bricks on the outer legs a couple of weeks ago, but I noticed the bed sagging in the middle and realized that we missed the middle leg). So I hoisted up the bed while my four year slid stools underneath it, but the first stools were too short. Long story short, and some cursing later, we got the brick in place, but I feel like I pulled something in my back. It's not too terrible, so I decided to work out anyway. My buddy and I did The Firm Time Crunch (her with one and two pound dumbbells, me with heavier). I'm glad I worked out as I think my back feels looser. If I feel up to it, I will join my family for yoga in the park tonight.

I do hope this season of high functioning is not a blip and is attributable to some or all of the many things I am trying (like the bed). I do think that eating lower carb and working out more vigorously and regularly is helping me. 

I was surprised that during crunches on the floor (which were hard and I was feeling the burn), my HR was only in the 80s/90s. Contrast that with doing overhead arm work while stepping up on an 8 inch step -- HR was in the 160s. It goes to show how great a factor gravity is.

Just want to say keep up the good work! It's incredible what y'all are doing! What a great idea too, keeping each other accountable!

The last couple of weeks I started using a recumbant bike for 5-8 minutes twice a day. It was amazing to see today in PT the benefit it has giveN with walking. My hip and knee held up much longer and things are definetly improving. Yeah! Maybe someday soon I'll be able to leave behind the wheelchair. ?

Keep up the good work everyone!

I was out in the marsh again yesterday.  This time we were counting grass!  Science is weird sometimes, no?  Stem density affects water velocity, and therefore sediment deposition, so there is a good reason to count grass.

Topic switch:  I think that so far Shan1212 wins the prize for most consistent exerciser.

ANCY, nice job! Do you have the recumbent bike at home? It's nice to have the flexibility to do it when it suits you.

Lily, I think counting grass would be very strenuous. A lot of squatting and kneeling, no? 

I do try to be consistent because I see such a difference when I work out 3-4 days without a break (so 5 or 6 times per week) versus just sort of winging it and averaging maybe 3 times a week. 3 times a week is not enough to get me over the hump. And yet sometimes it's all we can manage. Since starting this journey 5 years ago, I have always managed to exercise somewhat regularly (at least once or twice a week), but my good periods are definitely when I'm doing 5-6. I'm lucky as a stay at home mom with a treadmill and a preference for exercise videos over the gym that I can prioritize exercise and do it when it suits me. 

So today I did the treadmill again, but this time I didn't let my HR go over the 140s. (I'm trying the method laid out in Primal Endurance.) It took me 42 minutes to go 3 miles. Supposedly I will be able to increase my speed but keep my HR the same with time. We'll see!

Friday - rest
Saturday - FitPrime From the Ground Up DVD
Sunday - walked 1.5 miles in 20 minutes

We have been very active this weekend and I think I have been overdoing it. I even got 10,000 steps on my "rest" day. Yesterday we walked 3/4 of a mile to dinner and I became very dizzy, and we almost had to grab dinner and Uber home. I recovered but it still was not an enjoyable date. Today we walked 3/4 mile again for Father's Day brunch. I chose to stay home when my husband and kids went to an outdoor concert in the heat. I did the treadmill but got very dizzy despite taking two Midodrine. Ugh. I have recovered with a phenergan and rest. 

We leave for Disney in 12 days and I desperately want to be somewhat functional there, but I need to make peace with whatever I can manage. My husband's brother will be there so I can stay at the resort and know that everyone's still having a good time (I would feel bad if I was leaving my husband to be the solo adult out in the parks). I downloaded one of my Firm videos to my phone so I can still do weights in the resort gym -- I am clueless without instruction! I know I need to not be hard on myself but I still struggle with this five years into this journey.

Nice work, everyone!

Monday - rest (but was busy, busy, busy, very worn out Tuesday)
Tuesday - The Firm Total Body Toner DVD (forced myself to do slightly less difficult than average workout, did feel better after)
Wednesday - 3 miles on treadmill in 42 minutes
Thursday - The Firm 3 in 1 Bootcamp Mix #1

Bought a fitbit yesterday. Useful for tracking HR throughout the day and exercises! Looking forward to using it tonight when I ride the bike.

Anyone else have a fitbit? Who wants to be fitbit buddies? I feel like it may help with my motivation to get up and active more.

Yes it's pretty accurate. I have a finger pulse O2/HR monitor to test against it and as long as the fitbit is a few inches up my arm away from my wrist it usually lines up. If it sits on your wrist the accuracy gets a little wonky. There is some delay in the feedback so like when standing it will take a bit longer than the finger monitor to show the jump in HR but it eventually catches up. I'm OK with that since it is a lot more convenient and I feel less like a freak carrying around my finger reader.