Oxygen

gertie

Do any of you use oxygen? Has it helped you? Do you need a prescription to get your own oxygen tank refilled? I am told locally that even although I have my own tank I need a prescription. I have been having more blackout/fainting lately & thought I would try oxygen to see if it helped. thanks.

My nurse was of the same opinion, said that if you start out with 100% oxygen then when bp and hr cause blood to not move properly at least there is a higher level of oxygen in the blood cells and that would help maintain profusion longer. Oxygen did seem to help me maintain consciousness longer although did not entirely keep me from passing out.

I saw a Pulmonologist who said that the low pulseox readings, in the 70s, was due to inadequate profusion to the hands, not a true desaturation. He took me off the oxygen because he was confident after doing a blood gas that I didn't need it. A blood gas is the only way to know for sure wether there is true desating going on.

Sometimes I wonder if I would do better if they left me on the oxygen, guess I'll never know...

• 2 weeks later...

I have an oxygen concentrator at home and use it at night (or anytime I sleep),  whenever I feel extra symptomatic (uncomfortable tachy, extra dizziness, or just terrible feeling in general) or when I have bad headaches. It helps a lot for me. It tends to help my symptoms calm down and just better feeling in general especially when my heart rate gets so high or I feel palpitations that make me feel uncomfortable. I don't need to get tanks filled since mine is a concentrator but did get an Rx for it when I got it years ago and now I own it. You could buy a concentrator without an Rx but they are very costly so it is better if you can have insurance pay for it. They even have the small portable ones now you can take with you everywhere so you wouldn't need the tanks. I don't know why doctors are so leery about ordering them for patients, it's not like it's harmful and probably is quite healthy for anyone to use.